What is the tension in rope 2 when a dog pulls two sleds on snow?

  • Thread starter Thread starter oneamp
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Dogs
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
oneamp
Messages
222
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The sled dog in figure drags sleds A and B across the snow. The coefficient of friction between the sleds and the snow is 0.10.

If the tension in rope 1 is 150 N, what is the tension in rope 2?

[Sled A, 100kg]---1----[Sled B, 80kg]--2--Dog pulling


This problem was solved here, but I want to know why I come up with different results. I see in the link that they did not account for the friction. Since mu is given, we should use friction, right? Why did they ignore it there and come up with the answer?


Homework Equations



Net force and a = F/m

The Attempt at a Solution



First I made axis for A, with normal A pointing up at 980N, F_G_a pointing down at -980, f_k_a (friction) pointing left, away from the dig, at -(.10)(980) = -98N. Tension on the rope to the right was 150 N. Sum, F_net_x_a = (150)-(98)=52 => a = 0.52 m/s^2

But that's not the acceleration given in the link. Like I said, they ignored friction, I did not. Why is ignoring friction resulting in the right answer?

[I won't continue to work the problem here because it will be wrong until I figure out the right acceleration.]

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Note: I correctly solved it using friction. But in the link, they got the same answer without friction...