What is the tension required for the crosspiece in an A-frame structure?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
iPromise
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
∑

Homework Statement



You are designing the crosspiece for the A-frame structure in the figure below. Beams AB and AC are 5.00 m long and have a mass of 375.0 kg each. How much tension must the crosspiece EF withstand? Assume that the mass of the crosspiece and the friction at points B and C are negligible.

http://oi57.tinypic.com/2zfq4y8.jpg

Homework Equations



T = F*R*sinΘ
∑T = 0

The Attempt at a Solution



I took the first half of the frame into consideration. I chose point A to be my pivot point. There are three forces acting on the first-half of the frame:

http://oi59.tinypic.com/fu7sw0.jpg

My initial equation:

(N)(4.75)(cosΘ) - (Mg)(2.375)cosΘ = (T)(1.4)

Θ = sin-1 ( 2.2 / 4.75 )
= 27.59

N = the force of gravity of the first half of the structure
= Mg = 335 * 9.81

I solve for T:

T = 4941.08

The answer: 8650
 
Physics news on Phys.org
iPromise said:
(N)(4.75)(cosΘ) - (Mg)(2.375)cosΘ = (T)(1.4)
Where are you getting 4.75 and 1.4?
 
4.75 is the length of the ladder. 1.4 was the radius from the pivot point. That was my mistake, 1.4 is NOT the radius, 0.8 is.
 
iPromise said:
4.75 is the length of the ladder.
Isn't it given as 5 m?
 
Sorry I was thinking of the last practise version I did. Each version has different values.