What is the Theoretical Heat of Hydration for Copper(II) Sulphate?

  • Thread starter Thread starter nathaniell
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 10K views
nathaniell
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Hey poeple do any of you know what is the theoretical value for the heat of hydartion of copper

I need it to make some calculations in my lab
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Cupric sulfate? It comes in two flavors, anhydrous and as the pentahydrate.
 
Yes I want the heat of anhydrous copper(II) sulphate
 
Sorry, I misread your OP to mean heat of solution...

I have been having trouble finding thermodynamic data for anhydrous cupric sulfate as far as heat of hydration. I am only using the internet and my latest edition of the CRC (84th ed). Its not there.

You might find this in the library or you could calculate from the standard heats of formation for the anhydride and the pentahydrate. There are some tricks to the calculation...

The reaction would be:

CuSO4 + 5 H2O -----> CuSO4(5H2O)

You can easily find the standard heat of formation for the anhydride and the pentahydrate but what value should you use for the 5H2O? The heat of formation of the gas or the liquid?