What Is the Thickness of a One-Molecule-Thick Oil Layer on Water?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
BogMonkey
Messages
76
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A spherical drop of oil, 1 mm in diameter, falls on a water surface. The oil spreads out to cover a circular patch of diameter 60 cm. The oil spreads out until it forms a uniform layer on top of the water, only one molecule thick. What is the thickness of this layer?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I have no idea how they want me to answer this. It states in the question that the layer is 1 molecule thick but I have no idea what type of oil it is so I don't know what thick a molecule of this oil is.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That's what you are trying to find out!
it's a simple geometry question, the volume of oil doesn't change.