What is the value of 154 hundred thousand centuries?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Gomar
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 8K views
Gomar
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
if 1 century = 100, and 100 centuries = 10,000,
does 154 hundred thousand centuries = 154,000,000?
So it's same as 154million years?

Or is it 154 * 100,000 = 15,400,000 * 100 = 1,540,000,000?
1.54Billion?

or is it 15,400,000?

thank you.
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Gomar said:
154 hundred thousand centuries

This is a really awkward word construction that no one would ever use, but if I heard it, I would interpret it as meaning 154 * 100,000.
 
1 century : 100 years
100 : 10000 years
15400000 : 1,540,000,000

is it?
 
cepheid said:
This is a really awkward word construction that no one would ever use, but if I heard it, I would interpret it as meaning 154 * 100,000.

Sorry I just realized this was ambiguous. I would interpret it as meaning:

154*100,000 centuries = 15,400,000 centuries

= 154*100,000*100 years = 1,540,000,000 years
 
cepheid said:
Sorry I just realized this was ambiguous. I would interpret it as meaning:

154*100,000 centuries = 15,400,000 centuries

= 154*100,000*100 years = 1,540,000,000 years


i also confused with your earlier post..
 
century = 100
154,000 * century = 154,000 * 100
 
Number Nine said:
century = 100
154,000 * century = 154,000 * 100
1 century = 100 years
154,000 * 1 century = 154,000 * 100 years
 
I am confused.
Is the correct answer: 1,540,000,000 years or not?
 
Gomar said:
I am confused.
Is the correct answer: 1,540,000,000 years or not?

You have the answer. What's 154,000 * 100?
 
Number Nine said:
You have the answer. What's 154,000 * 100?

So it's 15,400,000
not
1,540,000,000?
 
Gomar said:
does 154 hundred thousand centuries = 154,000,000?

thank you.

prof says 1,540,000,000 is right. as you have to multiply 10,000,000 by 154.
 
Gomar said:
So it's 15,400,000
not
1,540,000,000?

These are BOTH right. The first one is the answer in units of centuries, and the second one is the answer in units of years. At least two people have already explained that. I'm not sure why you're making this so complicated.
 
cepheid said:
These are BOTH right. The first one is the answer in units of centuries, and the second one is the answer in units of years. At least two people have already explained that. I'm not sure why you're making this so complicated.
Especially with such a weirdly worded question - "what is 154 hundred thousand centuries?"