What is the volume and surface area of a 1-D sphere?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter lostidentity
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Area Sphere Vectors
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
lostidentity
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
I'm trying to find the volume and surface area of a 1-D dimensional sphere, i.e. retaining only the radial dependence.

I know that the volume element for a 3-D sphere would be

[tex]dV = r^2\sin\theta{d}\theta{d}\phi{d}r[/tex]

If it's one-dimensional would it just be [tex]dV = r^2{d}r[/tex]? Or would it just be [tex]dr[/tex]?

With regards to the surface area vector in 3-D it is

[tex]d\boldsymbol{A} = r^2\sin\theta{d}\theta{d}\phi\hat{\boldsymbol{e}_r}[/tex]

so in 1-D would it be

[tex]d\boldsymbol{A} = r^2\hat{\boldsymbol{e}_r}[/tex] or would it just be [tex]\hat{\boldsymbol{e}_r}[/tex]?


Essentially what I'm trying to do is a Finite Volume Method for a 1-D sphere and I want to find the surface area vectors, and volume for my Finite Volume Cells.
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
hi lostidentity! :smile:

perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but if a 3D sphere is an ordinary sphere, then isn't a 2D sphere an ordinary circle, and a 1D sphere a pair of points at positions ± r from the origin?
 
tiny-tim said:
hi lostidentity! :smile:

perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but if a 3D sphere is an ordinary sphere, then isn't a 2D sphere an ordinary circle, and a 1D sphere a pair of points at positions ± r from the origin?
I think lostidentity is using "sphere" to mean "ball" and "2D sphere" to mean "disk".

If so by "1D sphere" he must an interval which has two points as "surface". In that case, the "volume element" of a "1D sphere" would be just "dx" and there is no "surface area element" since the surface is not continuous.