1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is trans-2-pentene

1. Nov 28, 2005 #1
    can someone talk a bit about it cause i am confused about it

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2005 #2
    trans-2-pentene is [tex]C_5 H_{10}[/tex], and has a double bond between the 2nd and 3rd carbons. The methyl and ethyl groups are trans to one another across the double bond. The double bond is also a site of unsaturation.

Click here for trans-2-pentene :wink:

From http://www.neath-porttalbot.gov.uk/html/environment/pollution/on-line/species/t2pe.html,

"Trans-2-pentene is a polymerization inhibitor, a solvent and intermediate for the manufacture of petroleum resins and amyl alcohols.

Its toxicological properties have not been thoroughly investigated but vapors are irritating to the respiratory tract. Coughing, laryngitis and shortness of breath may occur at high concentrations. Inhalation may also cause dizziness."

Hope this helps :smile:

Hmm...any particular feature or problem? More specifically, how does trans-2-pentene trouble you?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
  4. Dec 6, 2005 #3
    ty

um i to be more specific i mean like the environmental? issues to the environement

it might be the lake and the poison to the fish but i am not sure

any help? >.>

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?