Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What kind of function can be minimized by going "downhill"

1. Jan 28, 2015 #1
    Hi all:
    I'm looking for the name of a property that a function (of arbitrary dimension) has when you can continuously follow the steepest descent to get to the global minimum. Being "smooth" is necessary but not sufficient.

For example, for just 1-D, this property is equivalent to being "convex", however the 2-D Rosenbrock function is a non-convex function, but still does have the property I'm looking for: any numerical algorithm will bring you quickly to the valley --it will then struggle to follow the valley to get to the global minimum, but at least in principle there is always a small-but-finite gradient that, if followed, will lead you to the global minimum which is the only stationary point. Therefore, the Rosenbrock function is a ..... function.

Can anyone tell me what word I should use to finish that sentence?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2015 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I don't know a single word, but you can say that it is a function that has a global minimum but no local minima.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook