What language should I learn for Physics/Astronomy jobs?

• Courses
  • Thread starter AstroGuyHere
  • Start date
I need to take a language course to complete my physics degree and I am wondering which language will be more beneficial in the job market for physics/astronomy. I am either going to take Spanish or Mandarin. I did notice that there are a lot of physics/astronomy jobs in Latin America so will learning Spanish be more beneficial? Or will Mandarin be more beneficial since there are a lot of non-China countries that speak Mandarin too.

Answers and Replies

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
My question is tailored to a very specific niche industry that doesn’t correlate with mathematics. My question is only focused to physics and astronomy jobs which the question you linked doesn’t relate to.
I was using that as an example, not the only post on the site answering your question.

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
I need to take a language course to complete my physics degree and I am wondering which language will be more beneficial in the job market for physics/astronomy. I am either going to take Spanish or Mandarin. I did notice that there are a lot of physics/astronomy jobs in Latin America so will learning Spanish be more beneficial? Or will Mandarin be more beneficial since there are a lot of non-China countries that speak Mandarin too.
Aside from (my) being confused by your further comments in this topic; study the language which you think you would like! You can try to look at logical reasons or technical reasons to choose which language, but also try to think which language you WANT, just because of that language or cultures of the people who speak it.