What level are the books 'Elements de Mathematiques' by Bourbaki?

• Foundations
  • Thread starter fxdung
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the conversation discusses the level and usefulness of the books "Elements de Mathematiques" by Bourbaki and "The Treatise on Analysis" by Dieudonne. It is mentioned that these books are not meant for undergraduate or graduate level study and are more like encyclopedias rather than textbooks. The speaker suggests choosing a specific subject and picking up a volume of Bourbaki on that subject. They also mention studying abstract algebra and considering reading "Algebra" by Lang before tackling Bourbaki's books. It is noted that the Bourbaki books may not be easy to read, but this may vary from person to person. The speaker encourages the listener to try reading and form their own opinion on the style
fxdung
What level(undergraduate or graduate) are the books Elements de Mathematiques by Bourbaki?Is good if I read it?If I like to read(undergraduate) then I must read following which order?(Eg first I must read book The Set theory).By the way,what about The Treatise on analysis by Dieudonne?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Best is try to read and see for yourself if it is good for you or not. As to the level, I would say, no, they are neither undergrad nor grad level. Same for the Treatise, you can think of it as the analysis text Bourbaki never wrote. I personaly wouldn't recommend to study from those books.

I think one should consider them not as textbooks at all. It's more like an encyclopedia which puts math into an axiomatic framework. It's so-to-say the "final result" of a finished "mathematical edifice". I don't think that one can learn, how math is really done as a creative process.

I think because it is rigorous,it might be easy to read for self studying?

• Haha
Likes vanhees71 and Demystifier
I do not find them easy to read, but that's just me. How about you choose a subject and pick up a volume of Bourbaki on this matter? Tell us what the subject is and also what your impression of the style is.

Likes vanhees71
I will begin abstract algebra, so I choose Algebra chapter 1-3 by Bourbaki. I do not like Fraleigh, because it seems to me not very rigorous(is that correct?)

Alright, then come back here with your honest opinion on Bourbaki's Algebra.

Likes vanhees71 and Demystifier
Is it good to read Undergraduate Algebra by Lang before reading Bourbaki(self studying)? Is the Lang's book easy to read?

1. What is the level of difficulty for the books 'Elements de Mathematiques' by Bourbaki?

The 'Elements de Mathematiques' by Bourbaki are considered to be at an advanced level of difficulty. They are intended for graduate students and professional mathematicians.

2. Are the books 'Elements de Mathematiques' by Bourbaki suitable for self-study?

While it is possible to self-study using the 'Elements de Mathematiques' books, they are primarily intended for use in a classroom setting with a professor or mentor to guide the learning process.

3. How do the 'Elements de Mathematiques' books compare to other textbooks on mathematics?

The 'Elements de Mathematiques' books are known for their rigorous and abstract approach to mathematics, making them different from most other textbooks. They are also highly influential and have had a major impact on the development of modern mathematics.

4. Can the 'Elements de Mathematiques' books be used as a reference for specific mathematical topics?

Yes, the 'Elements de Mathematiques' books can be used as a reference for specific mathematical topics. They are organized in a logical and systematic manner, making it easy to find information on a specific topic.

5. Are the 'Elements de Mathematiques' books still relevant and useful in modern mathematics?

Yes, the 'Elements de Mathematiques' books are still considered to be highly relevant and useful in modern mathematics. They cover a broad range of topics and provide a solid foundation for further study in mathematics.