What Limits the Separation of Quarks in Quarkonia?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Quarks
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
4,662
Reaction score
372
What kind of limitations are there for trying to split up the quarks from their binding formation?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't this problem of infinite force between quarks like the infinite of every force which decreases 1/r^a with distance r, and a>0, as r->0.

I'm not convinced this is the only restriction for finding quarks in groups rather than individuals.
 
That is the reason for why you, classically, can not force two chargers of equal type arbitrary close.

Another feature is the criterion of colour-neutrality, all physically observable states must have 0 colour charge.
 
malawi_glenn said:
The force between them goes to infinity as a function of separation distance.
I should say I disagree :smile:
alpha_s.jpg

The strong coupling constant at large distances
 
I was referring to the quark-quark potential in e.g. quarkonia. That potential becomes constant at the "string breaking" scale.