What makes effective UV - proof clothing?

In summary: If black is better at blocking UV she's going to get a zebra-stripe tan :¬)I am 67 and three years ago I was diagnosed with uv aggravated eczema. The doctors recommend wearing close woven fabrics to block uv but i find they don't really cut the mustard. my idea is to sew a lining into the back (where most irritation occurs) of a lightweight jacket and insert a sheet of aluminium foil to block the uv. What do you think? i would be extremely grateful for some feedback or do you have any more ideas?Quite a number of manufacturers specifically make clothing for this purpose, unsurprisingly it's popular in Australia, but densely woven fabrics, preferably black should
mikewinnipeg
I am 67 and three years ago I was diagnosed with uv aggravated eczema. The doctors recommend wearing close woven fabrics to block uv but i find they don't really cut the mustard. my idea is to sew a lining into the back (where most irritation occurs) of a lightweight jacket and insert a sheet of aluminium foil to block the uv. What do you think? i would be extremely grateful for some feedback or do you have any more ideas?

Biology news on Phys.org
Quite a number of manufacturers specifically make clothing for this purpose, unsurprisingly it's popular in Australia,
but densely woven fabrics, preferably black should do a fairly good job.
I think your aluminium foil idea might not be practical as it tears very easy and you would likely get fed up with continually having to replace it.

thankyou for your reply. i appreciate the point about tearing but I'm hoping that if i put it in a loose fitting pocket it will survive an outing, besides I'm desperate. yes the hospital said i should choose black will search for aussie stuff.

Have you tried simply putting on another layer of clothing? Perhaps a thin undershirt that breathes? Also remember to wear a hat, preferably one with a brim all the way around.

rootone said:
... I think your aluminium foil idea might not be practical as it tears very easy and you would likely get fed up with continually having to replace it.

Clothes made of "space blanket" would be very noisy : you'd be guilty of rustling :¬)

Here's some USA links for UV proof clothing ... http://www.lupusmctd.com/index.php?topic=3253.0;prev_next=prev [old 2006]

rootone said:
... preferably black should do a fairly good job ...
Black is not necessarily better at blocking UV than other colours : window-glass blocks UV , but is transparent to visible light, (rather than opaque black), i.e. the UV transmission properties of a material are not necessarily the same as its visible-light properties.

Last edited:
B0b-A said:
Black is not necessarily better at blocking UV than other colours : window-glass blocks UV , but is transparent to visible light, (rather than opaque black), i.e. the UV transmission properties of a material are not necessarily the same as its visible-light properties.

e.g. You can get "tan-through" clothing, which admits UV, some of which is black ... http://www.tanthrough.com/index.htm

If black is better at blocking UV she's going to get a zebra-stripe tan :¬)

zebra.png

Last edited:
mikewinnipeg said:
I am 67 and three years ago I was diagnosed with uv aggravated eczema. The doctors recommend wearing close woven fabrics to block uv but i find they don't really cut the mustard. my idea is to sew a lining into the back (where most irritation occurs) of a lightweight jacket and insert a sheet of aluminium foil to block the uv. What do you think? i would be extremely grateful for some feedback or do you have any more ideas?
How about leather, tightest weave out there. A vest would not be a terrible fashion statement.
And while leather is hard to test in UV blocking ability you could go for the extra safety of applying a bit of SPF cream to it, as it would not be washed away easily like on our skin.

You can get UV-blocking Swim Shirts:

http://www.swimoutlet.com/rash-guards-c11705/ [Broken]
UV-Blocking Swim Shirt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What materials are most effective in blocking UV rays?

The most effective materials for UV protection are tightly woven fabrics such as cotton, polyester, and nylon. These fabrics create a physical barrier that blocks UV rays from reaching the skin.

2. How can I tell if clothing is UV-proof?

Look for clothing labeled with an Ultraviolet Protection Factor (UPF) rating. The higher the UPF rating, the more effective the clothing is at blocking UV rays. A UPF rating of 50+ is considered excellent protection.

3. Do darker colors provide better UV protection?

Yes, darker colors tend to absorb more UV radiation than lighter colors, making them more effective at blocking UV rays. However, the fabric's density and UPF rating are more important factors to consider when choosing UV-proof clothing.

4. Are all UV-proof clothing items also water-resistant?

No, not all UV-proof clothing is water-resistant. Some fabrics, such as cotton, lose their UV protection when wet. Look for clothing specifically labeled as "water-resistant" or "quick-drying" if you plan on wearing it in water.

5. Can regular clothing be made UV-proof?

Yes, regular clothing can be made UV-proof by using a special laundry additive that increases the fabric's UPF rating. This additive can be easily found at most outdoor or sporting goods stores. However, it is important to note that this process may need to be repeated after multiple washes.

Back