What math classes should I take?

• Thread starter atarr3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Classes
In summary, the conversation discusses the necessary classes for a second year undergraduate physics major who is interested in pursuing a PhD in particle physics/atomic physics. Some suggested classes include complex analysis, partial differential equations, real analysis, topology, statistics, and numerical analysis in computer science. Other recommended courses include linear algebra, abstract vector spaces, group theory, representation theory, and mathematical methods for physicists. It is also mentioned that knowledge of programming languages such as C++ and FORTRAN can be helpful for computer simulations.
atarr3
So I'm a second year undergraduate physics major, and I'm taking quantum mechanics and classical mechanics next semester. I have all the basic math requirements completed (calculus and diff eq) Currently, I'm interested in doing PhD work in particle physics/atomic physics once I graduate. And I also need more classes to take and I'm ahead of schedule for graduation, so I was wondering what classes I should take to strengthen my background in other fields relevant to what I want to study. I've talked to some of the professors on my campus briefly and they mentioned classes like complex analysis and partial differential equations. I was just wondering what would be some good classes to take in chemistry or math or CS because I need more hours next semester. Thanks guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't particle physics use tons of quantum and quantum field theory? If so, as far as getting ahead in math goes, you need real analysis(rigorous foundations of calculus), topology and probably some statistics. I know you are probably going to be doing a good amount of grad level math if you are going for a phd in physics. Those courses will give you a leg up.

Also, learning to program couldn't hurt. It might even make it easier to get into doing some lab work with a professor.

Numerical Analysis in CS

in maths...

Have you done Linear Algebra? If not, get that done.
Second i would say Complex Analysis.
Then you can go into Vector Calculus and PDE if you like.

Actually, our calculus II class was actually 60% linear algebra, so I think I have that covered. We have a class called Abstract Vector Spaces, which I feel like would be a good one too. Has anyone taking Physical Chemistry? That was another class I've been interested in taking just because I enjoy chemistry.

have you done "Mathematical Methods for Physicists" course? If so, taking individual Math course for what was taught in that class is a good idea.

Also, they prolly have a similar "Mathematical Methods for Physicists" for grad students...check what is covered in that...and if possible take individual Math course on those subjects.

If you want to do particle physics/atomic physics, then there are a couple of courses you could take. Concerning math, you should consider especially group theory and in particular representation theory, which is inevitable in elementary particle physics. The stuff you'll need is representation theory of the Lorentz and Poincare group as well as the SU(N) groups and this is probably the only case when it is good to take such a course from a physicist, because the mathematicians almost never treat these topics in courses like Abstract algebra or Lie group theory (even though these subjects are interresting as such). In addition, as already suggested, you could take a graduate course on Mathematical Methods for Physicists (covering some PDE's, contour integration, Green's functions,...).

Now, this was what an ordinary particle physicist needs, but if you want to go further than that and see really the beautiful mathematical structure beyond the physical theories, you might also consider courses like: Differential Geometry (used everywhere in physics, especially GR and also Gauge Theories), Functional Analysis (used for a rigorous formulation of QM and also for advanced methods of solving PDE's), Complex Analysis (especially contour integration, but also for general knowledge (or perhaps complex geometry later on)), Topology (also general knowledge to see the frequently recurring structures in other mathematical fields (esp. diff. geo or later alg. topology)). Advanced calculus should be of course the first on your list if you haven't taken it yet.

Particle Physicists are also doing a lot of computer simulations, so some knowledge of C++/FORTRAN would be helpful.

I'm a physics major around the same course level as you. My biggest concern at the start was my mathematical ability, so I've asked just about everyone that would listen what math courses they think would be important. lol
Here's what I plan to have completed by the time I start grad school (assuming I'm accepted somewhere. lol)

Calc II
Calc III
Linear Algebra
Differential Equations
Mathematical proofs
Vector calc/complex variables
Advanced differential equations
Geometry (intro to the non-euclidean stuff)
Differential Geometry
Advanced Linear Algebra

I don't think I'll be able to, but I'd also like to take these courses
Numerical Analysis
Intro to Topology
I'd really like to do an independent study involving the group theory, lie algebra, clifford algebras, that seem to be very exciting.

Don't know how much that helps you (I'm hoping to do theory btw), but I've asked about everyone I can find and this is what I got out of it.

We have a class called Mathematical Physics, which I assume is what you guys are talking about. The description is just math you need when encountering problems in QM, EM, thermal physics and mechanics. I'm signed up for a class next semester called program design for engineers. It's a continuation of a class I took last semester which involved programming using matlab, but this one uses mostly C with an introduction to C++

Anyways thanks for all the advice guys! I have a much better picture of what classes I should be signing up for.

1. What math classes should I take in high school?

In high school, it is important to take a variety of math classes to build a strong foundation. Generally, it is recommended to take algebra 1, geometry, algebra 2, and precalculus. If you are interested in pursuing a career in a math-heavy field, it may also be beneficial to take advanced courses such as calculus or statistics.

2. Do I need to take calculus in high school?

While taking calculus in high school is not a requirement, it is highly recommended for students interested in pursuing a degree in a STEM field. Calculus is a fundamental subject that is often required for college-level math courses and many careers in science and engineering.

3. Can I skip algebra 2 and go straight to precalculus?

It is not recommended to skip algebra 2 and go straight to precalculus unless you have a strong understanding of algebraic concepts. Algebra 2 builds upon the skills learned in algebra 1 and provides a necessary foundation for precalculus. Skipping this course may make it difficult to understand and excel in precalculus.

4. Is it necessary to take statistics if I am not interested in a math-related career?

Statistics is a valuable course for all students, regardless of their career path. It teaches important skills such as data analysis and critical thinking, which are applicable in many fields. Additionally, many colleges and universities require students to take at least one statistics course as part of their general education requirements.

5. Are there any math classes that are more important than others?

All math classes are important in their own way and build upon each other. It is important to have a strong foundation in basic math skills such as algebra and geometry before moving on to more advanced courses like calculus or statistics. Ultimately, the most important math class is the one that aligns with your interests and goals.