What number on a digital clock draws the least current from a battery?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mukilab
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Current Switches
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Mukilab
Messages
73
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


There is a circuit with 7 LEDS connected in parallel, each with a switch on its parallel. There is a battery supplied.

The LEDS correspond to those of a digital clock for example the number 8 would light up all 7 LEDS, whilst the number 0 would light up 6 LEDS.

Which number from 0 to 9 draws the least current from the battery (For example to light up 3 I would have to close 5 switches)

Homework Equations



V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm slightly confused. Since the voltage is remaining the same, the only thing that would make the resistance decrease would be the resistance. I think (please correct me if I am wrong) that an open switch causes infinite resistance, therefore the number with the most open switches would cause the least current, number 1 as 5 LEDS are off

Any idea would be helpful, thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you very much, question is answered, this thread is now obsolete.