What planets were ancient people able to see in the sky without telescopes?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
scott1
Messages
353
Reaction score
1
April 11, 2006: Ancient people didn't have TV or electric lights. So, when the sun went down every night, they got their entertainment by watching the sky. And it was entertaining. Without city lights to interfere, the Milky Way was spectacular. Meteors flitted across the sky. Zodiacal lights chased the sunset.

Of special interest were the five naked-eye planets, the ones you could see without a telescope. (The ancients didn't have telescopes, either.) Countless hours were spent watching Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn, whose movements were thought to control the affairs of men.
This is the on planet that Ancients haven't seen(and I have never seen).
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
That's interesting.. Thank goodness for TV! But if I were around then it would be awesome to see the stuff (relatively) plus there wouldn't be all that light pollution.
 
We probably have just as many meteors nowadays too, but nobody notices them because they're glued to the TV.
 
Mental Gridlock said:
We probably have just as many meteors nowadays too, but nobody notices them because they're glued to the TV.
I've had some glued to my TV and they're quite noticeable after a while. Removal is simple with a clean cloth and some Windex.
 
Of special interest were the five naked-eye planets, the ones you could see without a telescope. (The ancients didn't have telescopes, either.) Countless hours were spent watching Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn, ...
Interestingly, the Georgian Planet (Uranus...which I presume is what you are hinting at in your topic name) is barely visible if you have very clear skies & keen eyesight...but it wasn't discovered until a telescope was used.
 
DaveC426913 said:
I've had some glued to my TV and they're quite noticeable after a while. Removal is simple with a clean cloth and some Windex.

Did you buy it that way or did they build up over time? HAHAHAHAHAHA okay so I wasn't thinking when I typed that.. Let me see if I can recall what I was trying to say.
 
Mental Gridlock said:
Did you buy it that way or did they build up over time?
The small number of tv tube meteors is proof of a young Earth.
 
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/11apr_george.htm
sorry I didn't post before you'll be able to see it tonight
EDIT:sorry I got confused it will be this moring before dawn
 
Last edited by a moderator: