What prevents quantum fluctuations from resulting in new universes?

In summary, the person is asking about the theory of quantum fluctuations and inflation as the origin of the universe and is seeking clarification on certain aspects. They also mention reading A Brief History of Time and a related article, which has raised some questions for them. Some specific questions they have are: 1) Is the idea of the Big Bang as a singularity still being researched or has it been disproven? 2) Is the theory of the universe originating from quantum fluctuations currently the most widely accepted? Are there any known flaws in it? 3) Is there a consensus on this theory among the forum members? 4) Is there an alternative theory to explain quantum fluctuations that does not have any known contradictions or flaws? 5)
dicon
Hi! I'm not sure if my post is in the correct sub-forum, but I think 'Quantum Physics' will result in more detailed answers..
I'm not a physicist, I'm a mathematician and don't know too much about Quantum Theory, just the basics. I've read some stuffs about the issue, introdutory books, this forum, got information from internet, etc.. The theory of quantum fluctuations and inflation seemed very concise and plausible for me since the beginning. I just finished reading Hawking's A Brief History of Time and that Lineweaver's article (http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0305179) Marcus posted in some thread. Instead of clarifying my mind, it put a little 'disorder', so I have a few questions (mainly the 5th)..

1) That idea of the Big Bang as a singularity is already dead, or there is some research trying to hold it nowadays?

2) The theory of the universe originating from quantum fluctuations (with the subsequent inflation) is the most 'acceptable' nowadays? There are any known flaws in it?

3) The theory in the previous question is a consensus here in the forum? Are you all talking about the same theory when you talk about quantum vacuum, quantum fluctuations, zero-point energy, inflation, etc.?

4) There is any plausible alternative for the quantum fluctuations at the moment that doesn't have any known contradictions or flaws?

5) Assuming that the universe originated from quantum fluctuations, what prevents or avoid that the quantum fluctuations in the existing universe 'evolve' and inflate to other universe(s)? If there are certains 'conditions' that avoid it, isn't it right to assume that there was(were) no universe(s) containing that 'original' quantum vacuum (or it wouldn't 'generate' our universe)?

Sorry if I said something wrong about Quantum Physics and for my not so good English.

Thank you very much for your attention and comprehension!

Physics news on Phys.org
dicon said:
5) Assuming that the universe originated from quantum fluctuations, what prevents or avoid that the quantum fluctuations in the existing universe 'evolve' and inflate to other universe(s)?
Nothing, as far as I know. I think you'd find this lecture interesting. (Requires RealPlayer). See in particular pages 6 and 13 of the slides. Page 13 describes a truly bizarre consequence of inflation.

1. What are quantum fluctuations?

Quantum fluctuations are small, temporary changes in the amount of energy at a particular point in space. They are a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics, which is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at the smallest scales.

2. How do quantum fluctuations lead to the creation of new universes?

According to some theories, quantum fluctuations can cause the formation of tiny bubbles in the fabric of space-time. These bubbles can expand and form new universes within the larger multiverse. However, this is still a highly debated topic and there is no concrete evidence to support it.

3. What prevents quantum fluctuations from resulting in new universes?

There are several factors that may prevent quantum fluctuations from leading to the creation of new universes. One possibility is that the fluctuations are simply too small to have a significant impact on the larger scale of the universe. Additionally, the laws of physics within our universe may prevent the formation of new universes or limit their ability to exist.

4. Are there any observable effects of quantum fluctuations?

While we cannot directly observe quantum fluctuations, their effects can be seen indirectly through phenomena such as the Casimir effect and Hawking radiation. These effects are a result of the interactions between quantum fluctuations and the fabric of space-time.

5. How do scientists study quantum fluctuations?

Scientists use a variety of experimental techniques and mathematical models to study quantum fluctuations. These include techniques such as quantum field theory and quantum optics, as well as experiments using particle accelerators and other high-energy physics tools.