Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What puts the analysis in analytic number theory?

1. Aug 14, 2011 #1
    I'm interested in analytic number theory and from what little I understand of it complex analysis will be more important than real analysis(measure theory). Thus I will be taking a year of graduate complex analysis this fall, however, I do also have the option of taking a year of graduate real analysis, but I would prefer not to for several reasons, so I was hoping someone could enlighten me on if a lot of measure theory and highbrow function space theory is really even that useful in analytic number theory, or if I can be content with tools drawn primarily from complex analysis and abstract algebra.

Edit: I guess I should clarify I will eventually get around to learning the topics covered in a standard graduate real analysis course, it just wont be right away, and I'm sure some of it will be crucial, I guess what I'm really asking is what types of analysis are the analytic number theorists finding to be their bread and butter.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2011 #2
    Complex analysis would be a better choice as it finds more applications in analytic number theory than the 'functional analysis' type.

4. Aug 18, 2011 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

it depends what you try to read. possibly as an extreme example, andre weil uses haar measure on page one of his book "Basic number theory".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook