What role does Quantum Mechanics play in a internal combustion engine?

In summary, the conversation discussed the role of thermodynamics and quantum mechanics in internal combustion engines. It was mentioned that classical constitutive relations and material properties are derived from QM, but its only direct application in IC engines is in flash memory ICs in the ECU and other electronics. The stability of atoms, explained by QM, was also mentioned as a possible factor in the stability of IC engines. The method of heat energy changes at an individual level was also questioned, and it was suggested that the answer could be found in a statistical mechanics book, with no direct involvement of quantum physics. The conversation was ultimately closed with the suggestion to consult a statistical mechanics book for further information.
obbeel
Thermodynamics deal with quantum mechanics all the time, so I wondered what role it played in a internal combustion engine. Could we calculate it and how does it affect the engine's final output?

Physics news on Phys.org
Internal combustion engines are classical.

Of course you can always apply QM to classical systems if you want to make a point. And a lot of the classical constitutive relations and material properties would be derived from QM in principle if not in practice

Likes sym666, vanhees71, Vanadium 50 and 3 others
obbeel said:
so I wondered what role it played in a internal combustion engine.
About the only place is in the flash memory ICs in the Engine Control Unit (ECU) and other electronics (like the Entertainment Center). Can you say why flash memory ICs use QM in their operation? What part of their operation specifically? :wink:

Likes vanhees71 and obbeel
I don't really understand the question. The model T certainly predates quantum theory so Henry Ford did OK.
But the world is unstable according classical theory, so there is that.

• Love
Likes obbeel, vanhees71 and Vanadium 50
I was going to write something much like @hutchphd did. One might say that QM explains the stability of atoms, and IC engines are made of atoms, so... but I somehow don't think this is what the poster had in mind.

Likes obbeel, vanhees71 and hutchphd
I'm interested in the method that heat energy changes at an individual level. We can measure the heat output of an internal combustion engine, but how do the changes occur? I'm sure there is a chemical answer to this, but what would be the answer if we sum all individual atoms energies?

Maybe the answer would be in a statistical mechanics book, but I found it interesting how a enclosed space like an internal combustion engine can represent a change in atom energy.

obbeel said:
Maybe the answer would be in a statistical mechanics book,
Yes, that is where you’ll find it. And there’s no quantum physics involved, it’s all bulk properties of matter.

This thread is closed.

1. What is Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at a microscopic level. It explains the behavior of atoms and subatomic particles, and how they interact with each other and with energy.

2. How does Quantum Mechanics relate to internal combustion engines?

Quantum Mechanics plays a crucial role in understanding the combustion process in an internal combustion engine. It explains the behavior of molecules and atoms in the fuel-air mixture, as well as the energy transfer and chemical reactions that occur during combustion.

3. Can Quantum Mechanics improve the efficiency of internal combustion engines?

Yes, Quantum Mechanics has already played a significant role in improving the efficiency of internal combustion engines. By understanding the fundamental processes involved in combustion, scientists and engineers have been able to develop more efficient engine designs and optimize fuel combustion.

4. Are there any limitations to using Quantum Mechanics in internal combustion engines?

While Quantum Mechanics has greatly improved our understanding and efficiency of internal combustion engines, there are still limitations. For example, Quantum Mechanics cannot fully explain the complex interactions between different components of the engine, such as the fuel injection system and the engine block.

5. How is Quantum Mechanics being used to develop alternative fuels for internal combustion engines?

Quantum Mechanics is being used to study and develop alternative fuels for internal combustion engines. By understanding the chemical reactions and energy transfer involved in combustion, scientists can design alternative fuels that are more efficient and produce less harmful emissions.