1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What 's different between <Science>and<Science American>

1. Jul 4, 2008 #1
    Hello

The two magizines are very famous. What's different between them?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2008 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

There is no magazine named "Science American" as far as I know. I think you mean "Scientific American."

"Science" is a professional journal which publishes original research papers in a variety of fields: biology, chemistry, astrophysics, physics... It also has news articles on science or topics related to science. It's published by the American Association for the Advancement of Science, a professional organization of scientists, for its members. The AAAS also holds an big annual conference where scientists present papers.

"Scientific American" is a popular-level magazine with articles written for the educated layman and professionals who like to read about what's happening in other scientific fields besides their own. It is a commercial (for profit) publication.

4. Jul 4, 2008 #3

Defennder

Homework Helper

What's the difference between Scientific American and American Scientist then?

5. Jul 5, 2008 #4

eri

Scientific American is more widely-distributed than American Scientist, and has a more varied audience. American Scientist is published by Sigma Xi, the scientific honors society. Neither of them are peer-reviewed journals.

6. Jul 5, 2008 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

And I think "Science" is peer-reviewed, unlike the other two magazines.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?