1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What should i do? lectureship or pursue Ph.D?

1. Mar 29, 2015 #1
    Im doing M.Sc Physics just a month left for finals. Im planning to crack jrf for doing Ph.D. Im confused what shoud i do Ph.D or search job as professor. After Ph.D whare i can get jobs ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2015 #2
    Without a PhD a professorship is impossible I think even in the most humble college.

4. Mar 29, 2015 #3
    But here in india one can only need NET(national eligibility test) qualified to do professorship.

5. Mar 29, 2015 #4
    Sorry, i was only referring to the US. However I would still think you would be at a disadvantage for a professorship. What is confusing you? If you feel you can earn a Ph.D. I think you should try. Talk with your professors about different promising areas ( areas that have a lot of applications) but you will probably not be seeking job for 4 or 5 years from starting your doctorate and who knows for sure what will be a good opportunity. try to develop skills that have general applicability if possible skills that you can use both in teaching, and research in physics or engineering.

6. Mar 29, 2015 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Being eligible does not mean you'll be selected when there is a search.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook