What should my girlfriend name her tiger?

• Thread starter chroot
  • Start date
Kerrie
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
albinatigris

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Following the trend of nomenclature of the cross-bred felines, you might try something along the lines of Whiger, but that might just sound unoriginal to the casual observer.

How about Snowball ? The obvious relationship is that snow is white. The less obvious relationship is through the famous pig (of the same name in Orwell's Animal Farm), who is modeled upon Leon Trotsky. Trotsky, of course, spent several prison terms in Siberia, the main habitat of the white tiger.

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
What...?What do you mean by "Siberia,main habitat of the white tiger"...?

Daniel.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Tigers are mostly found in Siberia, India (Bengal) and Indonesia (Sumatra, I think). I thought there were more in Siberia than the other places, but I may be wrong. Also, the albinos are more common among the Siberian and Bengal tigers (also, "I think")

Edit : OOPS ! White tigers appear to be only Bengals. Scratch Snowball.

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
Edit : OOPS ! White tigers appear to be only Bengals. Scratch Snowball.

Yeah i was jsut gonna say....

Its kinda odd when you think about it. It would make more sense for white tigers to be in siberia, but oh well.

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I think you're wrong about the habitat.They inhabit Indochina as well (especially Thailand).In Siberia they are the least of them all...And the white tiger is a gene modified "version" of Bengal tiger...The Siberian tiger is the largest among cats and second in size behind white polar bear among land mammals...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
I think you're wrong about the habitat.They inhabit Indochina as well (especially Thailand).In Siberia they are the least of them all...And the white tiger is a gene modified "version" of Bengal tiger...The Siberian tiger is the largest among cats and second in size behind white polar bear among land mammals...

Daniel.

Your statement either makes no sense or is just repitisious or some combinations. And i have no idea which.

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
It makes sense,but only if you're sober...:devil:

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
It makes sense,but only if you're sober...:devil:

Daniel.

Its friday though, since when am i ever sober on friday?

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The white tiger is pretty rare in the wild (they're pretty easy to spot by predators when they are young and still tasty I guess). There are more of them born in captivity due to inbreeding.

What about Bianca?

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I thought tigers in their habitat are the top of the food chain...:confused:

Daniel.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Moonbear said:
What about Bianca?
What about Bianca Castafiore ?

dextercioby said:
I thought tigers in their habitat are the top of the food chain...:confused:

Daniel.

I was gonna sya not when they're infants, but i still couldn't think of anything. Tigers don't eat their young, so yeah i dunno. Maybe wolves (does indochina have wolves?) or another species of big cat (does indochina hve any other species of big cat?). But i don't think so.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
franznietzsche said:
I was gonna sya not when they're infants, but i still couldn't think of anything. Tigers don't eat their young, so yeah i dunno. Maybe wolves (does indochina have wolves?) or another species of big cat (does indochina hve any other species of big cat?). But i don't think so.

Well, there are those pesky humans, but other than that, nothing I can think of. I retract my comment about them being young and tasty. The problem is they don't blend in to the surroundings enough to ambush their prey, so have trouble catching dinner. Happy now?

Moonbear said:
Well, there are those pesky humans, but other than that, nothing I can think of. I retract my comment about them being young and tasty. The problem is they don't blend in to the surroundings enough to ambush their prey, so have trouble catching dinner. Happy now?

No, but as far as this thread is concerned, sure.

chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
mattmns said:
You need some help! :rofl:
No, actually, she's the one who needs help. You see, she doesn't know what to name the pet tiger.
She is your real girlfriend and not, just, your role playing girlfriend right? :tongue2:
No, she's my real, flesh-and-blood, pretty little blonde-haired, green-eyed girlfriend, who just happens to have a pet tiger in a role-playing game she enjoys. This particular make-believe tiger is a recent addition to her game, and she'd like a novel name for it. Forgive me for asking such an outlandish question, eh?

- Warren

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How about a name that's completely un-tiger-like? Something like Fluffy or Fifi.

So, what is she looking for in a name? Something fierce, or cute, or exotic sounding, etc? It might help us narrow down themes for suggestions.

Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I just received a pm from one of my alaskan brown bear friends. He is very annoyed at being demoted to 3rd place in the largest land mammal contest and vowed to eat dissenting PF members until he fattens back into the lead.

Last edited:
yeah, me too.. i like the game... ^^

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Chronos said:
I just received a pm from one of my alaskan brown bear friends. He is very annoyed at being demoted to 3rd place in the largest land mammal contest and vowed to eat dissenting PF members until he fattens back into the lead.

Well, by now franz should be pretty well rum-soaked. Maybe your friend would enjoy a nice flambé (sp?).

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
That's not Alaska,that's a Kodiak bear.Kodiak is an island in the Aleutines islands...And surprizingly,it's not carnivorous,but omnivorous...,like any bear whose fur is not white.:wink:

Daniel.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How did we get onto the topic of brown and white bears? We still need to find a good name for Chroot's girlfriend's pet white tiger. (Chroot, you're sure this is a pet, and not a nickname for the other guy, right? :rofl:)

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
dextercioby said:
That's not Alaska,that's a Kodiak bear.Kodiak is an island in the Aleutines islands...

Kodiak Island and the rest of the Aleutians belong to Alaska.

Tiger names :

Jethro Tull (had a thing for tigers),
Lily (as in Tiger Lily),
Alipur (a suburb of Calcutta in West Bengal, India. The zoo there has been breeding white tigers for a long, long time),
Fearful Symmetry (from Blake),
Shark (the Great White and the Tiger are both reef sharks, I think),
Sher Khan (from Kipling, "sher" is the Hindi word for tiger)

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
To the state of Alaska,oui...But to the ALASKA PENINSULA,simply NO... :wink:

Daniel.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I like Gokul's suggestion of Alipur, though I'd pronounce it Alley purrrrrr...sounds better for a big kitty. :biggrin: