What Size Cooling Fans are used in Rack Mounted Servers?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cooling
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
Saladsamurai
Messages
3,009
Reaction score
7
Hi guys and gals :smile: I am currently working on a project that involves server cooling.

My objective is to make some sort of (gross) generalization about what kind/size fans go into typical rack mounted servers.

When all is said and done I would like to be able to categorize my findings in a fashion something like:

Code:
1U Servers: 80mm x 80mm x 38mm, DC, constant speed

2U Servers: 120mm x 120mm ...etc

I am having a hell of a time tracking this data down. I thought I was 'clever' by going to eBay to look at replacement fans (naively) thinking that they would include the fan dimensions, however, they are simply categorized by server model number.

The Dell website 'technical specs' are garbage They might be 'technical' if my mom were reading it :smile: but insofar as 'tech specs' they do me no good.

Any ideas on where else I can search out this data? I have some ideas, but perhaps someone who knows more about servers or server repair knows of some secret stash of fan data :smile:

Any insight would be appreciated.

Casey
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Most of the time you'll find the fans in panels of 3-4 120mm.

It seems like 120mm are common as well as 80mm.

But the main problem is that all of this is hearsay. I really need to find a way to source this data so I can cite it.

I need a technical drawing or something.