What species was mitochondrial Eve Mother

• Thread starter Gannet
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Mitochondrial Eve and Y Chromosome Adam, who are believed to be the most recent common ancestors of all humans. It is mentioned that they were likely Archaic Homo Sapiens, but it is also possible that they mated with other species such as Homo Neanderthalis. However, it is important to note that humans did not descend from a single breeding pair and there have been multiple instances of genetic bottlenecks and interbreeding throughout our history. The conversation also raises questions about the frequency of genetic reintegration through historical events and migrations.
Gannet
While reading this http://www.bradshawfoundation.com/journey/eve.html

I was wondering what species mitochondrial Eve mother was I assume she would have been Archaic Homo Sapien?

Same question about Y Chromosome Adam Father.

http://www.bradshawfoundation.com/journey/adam.html

Or could have Y Chromosome Adam mated with an Archaic Homo Sapien female or visa versa.

I found this site which I found very interesting http://www.bradshawfoundation.com/journey/

My link icon is not working

Biology news on Phys.org
Humans did not descend from a single breeding pair. A relatively large group speciated from our non-homo sapien ancestors. There were a few times homo sapiens underwent a massive die-off / genetic bottleneck and were down to a hundreds or thousands of breeding individuals. I do not believe that homo sapiens ever had only a single example of a mitocondrial genome or y-chromosome genome. The "Mitocondrial Eve" is a statistical end point to work back from a number of mutated mitocondrial genomes to estimate a date when a number of individuals of a species started branching / genetically diverging.

Given the evidence of genetic interaction with Homo Neanderthalis, I'd agree with you Jim1138. One has to wonder how often throughout our history a line has diverged, evolved, then was recombined with the original line, later. It's certainly happening all over the world today, though technically we're not different species. We're merely evolved some different traits better suited to our ancestral environments. But most of the differentiation has occurred in the last 100,000 years, yet the latest surge of reintegration is occurring only in the last 50 years. One has to wonder about historical exploits such as the Vikings, Romans, Alexander the Great, and Ghengis Khan. Lots of long-separated traits were reintegrated into the different tribes/sects of our species.

What species was mitochondrial Eve Mother?

The species of mitochondrial Eve Mother is Homo sapiens, or modern humans.

Who is mitochondrial Eve Mother?

Mitochondrial Eve Mother, also known as mitochondrial Eve or mtEve, is the most recent common ancestor of all living humans, traced back through the maternal line using mitochondrial DNA.

When did mitochondrial Eve Mother live?

It is estimated that mitochondrial Eve Mother lived between 99,000 and 200,000 years ago, based on genetic evidence.

How was mitochondrial Eve Mother identified?

Mitochondrial Eve Mother was identified through the analysis of mitochondrial DNA, which is only passed down through the maternal line and does not undergo genetic recombination.

Is mitochondrial Eve Mother the only ancestor of modern humans?

No, mitochondrial Eve Mother is not the only ancestor of modern humans. She is the most recent common ancestor of all living humans through the maternal line, but there were other individuals and lineages that also contributed to the genetic diversity of modern humans.