What substance could potentially flow and pool on the surface of Venus?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Terdbergler
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Venus
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
Terdbergler
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
I realize that there are no lakes or rivers on Venus, but, given the surface temperature, pressure, etc. what substance COULD flow and pool on Venus the way water and liquid ethane flow and pool on the surfaces of Earth and Titan respectively?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I don't know. Rivers of lead, maybe? :p It would be too dense to flow like a river, I guess. Unless the river is really steep
 
It is certainly possible Venus may once have had liquid water on its surface before 'global warming' took over. Just about anything that melts, but, does not boil in the current Venusian environment could be present.
 
M-TheorySUCKS said:
I don't know. Rivers of lead, maybe? :p It would be too dense to flow like a river, I guess. Unless the river is really steep

In the liquid state, lead flows quite readily. The rate of flow of a fluid is not connected so much to the density as to the viscosity of the fluid. For example, residual fuel oils have approximately the same density as water, but these oils must be heated in order to reduce their viscosity sufficiently to allow them to be pumped without expending a tremendous amount of power to do so.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Another problem is that molten lead, like quicksilver or bismuth, are dense - denser than rocks. They would squeeze into cracks in ground.

How about brimstone? Its boiling point at 1 bar is 444 degrees, but surface of Venus has 92 bar pressure, and the boiling point of brimstone rises to 1041 degrees at the critical point of 203 bar.