What temperature will water boil at 5895m elevation on Mt. Kilimanjaro?

  • Thread starter Thread starter BEVIN
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Water
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
BEVIN
What temperature will water boils on top of Mt. Kilamanjaro (elevation 5895m)...


This answer should be 80.3 degree celsius...How did they get this...?
I have my thermo and fliud tables but I cannot seems to figure this one...

Thanks...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't the boiling point dependent on the pressure the liquid is under, since liquids boil when the tiny gas-bubbles that form all the time at random are pressurized enough to stay and grow, rather than being instantly crushed?

I guess I'd just look that up on a table or a PVT diagram.. I hear that you need a gigantic messy system of equations to approximate water's state transitions, and everyone just uses tables
 
Standard altitude table says that at 5900m:

p = 4.7867 E4 N/m^2

Consulting a Saturated Water-Pressure table for 50kPa (closest value) gives 81.33 degrees C as saturation temperature.

40kPa -> 75.87 C

You can interpolate back from there.