• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

What to brush up on before taking Vector Analysis

Main Question or Discussion Point

I forgot to add this in my other thread.

I'm taking Diff. Eq. and Vector Analysis this fall. I've already started brushing up on DE-related stuff. What should I review for Vector Analysis? Thanks.

Answers and Replies

There's not much you can do to prepare for it besides trying to master single variable and (especially) multi variable calculus. Otherwise you could pick up a book on vector analysis and try to get started reviewing the material explicitly. There is a book called "div, grad, and curl" which talks about some primary topics and seems to get a lot of good reviews.

Vector calculus is a difficult subject to learn because people usually take it before becoming very mature in their math or science coursework. I would say expect to spend a lot more time on this course than on the DE course.

There's not much you can do to prepare for it besides trying to master single variable and (especially) multi variable calculus. Otherwise you could pick up a book on vector analysis and try to get started reviewing the material explicitly. There is a book called "div, grad, and curl" which talks about some primary topics and seems to get a lot of good reviews.

Vector calculus is a difficult subject to learn because people usually take it before becoming very mature in their math or science coursework. I would say expect to spend a lot more time on this course than on the DE course.
I see. Of course, I've taken the prerequisites, Cal I-III and Linear Algebra.