1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What to do with undeserved GOOD grades?

1. Jun 5, 2012 #1
    Hello. On fear of hijacking it, I didn't want to merge this with a similar thread earlier.

Have you ever received an undeserved GOOD grade? Such as an A+ in a class, when you feel you should have received a B, or B-?

I'm suspicious I'm getting better grades than I should. Yes, I am indeed complaining about this.

I expect A+'s from my Poli Sci classes, easily. But math? I think math is so much more difficult, and an A+ just doesn't reflect the agony I went through. An A+ makes it look like it was easy work, when it really wasn't.

I want to go to math grad school, and don't want to be disappointed if my abilities really aren't enough.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2012 #2
    I'm afraid people might be lying to me with the grades they give, that's all.

4. Jun 5, 2012 #3
    Go to the dean and complain that you don't deserve the grade you got.

5. Jun 5, 2012 #4
    I felt this way too about one of my courses. It happens. There are courses I've felt I deserved a better grade in so it balances out. Perhaps you could speak to your professor about it.

6. Jun 5, 2012 #5
    What should you do? Start with shutting the **** up, then move on to counting your blessings ;)

7. Jun 5, 2012 #6
    It's not about your abilities. Rather, it's about your level of interest.

8. Jun 5, 2012 #7
    Hey I'm not bragging, guys. Who doesn't like a good grade? But would you be ok getting a salary without having done any work? Free money is nice, but after a while you would feel like something is wrong. I feel that something is amiss. It's like a trap to gets your hopes up with possibly false good grades, only to be disappointed later. That's my concern. Thanks for understanding. Btw, this is post 69. Heh heh heh. Sorry....

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  9. Jun 5, 2012 #8
    The solution is simple. If you didn't understand the material well enough to deserve a good grade, keep practising until you feel like you *do* understand it well enough. Ask for a few practice exams if you feel it's necessary. That way, you can first of all be happy with your good fortune of getting a nice grade, and second of all be satisfied because you have now mastered the material.

10. Jun 5, 2012 #9

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

A grade is just a grade. An A+ doesn't imply the work was easy for you. It implies that you managed to score high enough on the tests and assignments that you were lumped into the highest grade bracket when marked relative to the others in the class.

It sounds to me more like your real concern is that you're worried about understanding the material, which is perfectly valid. Talk with your professors to get an idea of where they think you should be at with respect to you understanding of the material.

11. Jun 5, 2012 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Your grade reflects how well you answered the questions. It does not reflect how easy or hard it was.

12. Jun 5, 2012 #11
    This is exactly the attitude you should ditch and ditch immediately. If an A+ WASNT agonizingly difficult, the class was too easy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook