What's the Point in Getting Good Grades in Your Undergrad?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
35 replies · 10K views
streeters said:
Really? I constantly read bios where they mention their degree class. I also see a lot of graduate programs that want 1st class degrees. Looks like we travel in different circles.

Can you provide examples of graduate programmes that require first class degrees?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Shaun_W said:
Can you provide examples of graduate programmes that require first class degrees?

ok, when I applied to Rolls Royce they only considered 1st class degrees due to a shrink in manufacture that year.
 
Grades in bachelor's degrees do matter, but it's more like a cut-off than a sliding scale. The cut-off is 3.0-3.3, or perhaps 3.7 for IBanking or strategy consultancy or something.

And the OP has a point. Some people care about understanding the universe, but for the most part college is just a credential factory designed to get people generic office and retail jobs without making them better at performing those jobs.
 
mdxyz said:
Some people care about understanding the universe, but for the most part college is just a credential factory designed to get people generic office and retail jobs without making them better at performing those jobs.

I fall under the former category (I care about learning) but I still agree with this. I had a math prof once that asked an entering class (mixed STEM fields) if they would bother going to/paying for college if it didn't help them get a decent job afterwards. They all answered no and the prof thought it was totally reasonable.
 
I think a college education/degree serves different purposes (particularly in science):

1. To teach you facts and methods of solving problems.

2. To teach you/allow you to figure out how to learn on your own.

3. To certify to future employers/graduate schools that you have learned facts and methods of solving problems and are able to teach yourself more.

Grades are a part of number 3. I personally think they do a pretty good job of this.
 
Just because your grades won't be looked at by future employers should not mean you shouldn't take pride in your grades. Don't you want to leave university knowing that you did your best? If all you care about is the degree then clearly the point of post-secondary education is lost on you. The point is to learn not just information but a good work ethic.