What to do with undeserved GOOD grades?

• Thread starter Abraham
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grades
In summary: Get mad, work harder, and demand the A+ you deserve.But math? I think math is so much more difficult, and an A+ just doesn't reflect the agony I went through. An A+ makes it look like it was easy work, when it really wasn't. Math is difficult because it is a subject that requires you to understand concepts and apply them in order to solve problems. It's not easy because you're a math genius.Rather, it's about your level of interest.What should you do? Start with shutting the **** up, then move on to counting your blessings ;)In summary, the person is complaining that they feel they are getting better grades than they should, and
Abraham
Hello. On fear of hijacking it, I didn't want to merge this with a similar thread earlier.

Have you ever received an undeserved GOOD grade? Such as an A+ in a class, when you feel you should have received a B, or B-?

I'm suspicious I'm getting better grades than I should. Yes, I am indeed complaining about this.

I expect A+'s from my Poli Sci classes, easily. But math? I think math is so much more difficult, and an A+ just doesn't reflect the agony I went through. An A+ makes it look like it was easy work, when it really wasn't.

I want to go to math grad school, and don't want to be disappointed if my abilities really aren't enough.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid people might be lying to me with the grades they give, that's all.

Go to the dean and complain that you don't deserve the grade you got.

I felt this way too about one of my courses. It happens. There are courses I've felt I deserved a better grade in so it balances out. Perhaps you could speak to your professor about it.

What should you do? Start with shutting the **** up, then move on to counting your blessings ;)

Abraham said:
I want to go to math grad school, and don't want to be disappointed if my abilities really aren't enough.

It's not about your abilities. Rather, it's about your level of interest.

diligence said:
What should you do? Start with shutting the **** up, then move on to counting your blessings ;)

Hey I'm not bragging, guys. Who doesn't like a good grade? But would you be ok getting a salary without having done any work? Free money is nice, but after a while you would feel like something is wrong. I feel that something is amiss. It's like a trap to gets your hopes up with possibly false good grades, only to be disappointed later. That's my concern. Thanks for understanding. Btw, this is post 69. Heh heh heh. Sorry...

Last edited:
Abraham said:
Hey I'm not bragging, guys. Who doesn't like a good grade? But would you be ok getting a salary without having done any work? Free money is nice, but after a while you would feel like something is wrong. I feel that something is amiss. It's like a trap to gets your hopes up with possibly false good grades, only to be disappointed later. That's my concern. Thanks for understanding. Btw, this is post 69. Heh heh heh. Sorry...

The solution is simple. If you didn't understand the material well enough to deserve a good grade, keep practising until you feel like you *do* understand it well enough. Ask for a few practice exams if you feel it's necessary. That way, you can first of all be happy with your good fortune of getting a nice grade, and second of all be satisfied because you have now mastered the material.

A grade is just a grade. An A+ doesn't imply the work was easy for you. It implies that you managed to score high enough on the tests and assignments that you were lumped into the highest grade bracket when marked relative to the others in the class.

It sounds to me more like your real concern is that you're worried about understanding the material, which is perfectly valid. Talk with your professors to get an idea of where they think you should be at with respect to you understanding of the material.

Your grade reflects how well you answered the questions. It does not reflect how easy or hard it was.

But math? I think math is so much more difficult, and an A+ just doesn't reflect the agony I went through. An A+ makes it look like it was easy work, when it really wasn't.

This is exactly the attitude you should ditch and ditch immediately. If an A+ WASNT agonizingly difficult, the class was too easy.

1. What should I do if I receive a good grade that I don't feel I deserve?

First, take a moment to reflect on your performance and identify the areas where you may have excelled. Next, consider speaking with your teacher or professor to get feedback on your work and see if there were any factors that may have contributed to your grade. It's also important to remember that grades are not always a reflection of your intelligence or worth as a person. Use this experience as an opportunity to learn and improve for future assignments.

2. Should I tell my teacher or professor if I think my grade is too high?

If you genuinely believe that your grade is higher than what you deserve, it is important to communicate this to your teacher or professor. They may have made a mistake in grading or may be able to provide you with additional feedback on your work. However, be sure to approach the conversation respectfully and with evidence to support your claim.

3. Is it okay to keep a good grade that I feel I didn't earn?

This ultimately depends on your personal values and the academic policies of your school. Some students may feel comfortable keeping the grade and using it to boost their overall GPA, while others may feel guilty and prefer to speak with their teacher or professor about the situation. It's important to consider the potential consequences of both options and make a decision that aligns with your integrity.

4. Can I ask for a lower grade if I feel like I didn't put in enough effort?

Asking for a lower grade is generally not recommended. Instead, try to use this experience as motivation to improve your study habits and work ethic for future assignments. However, if you truly feel that your grade does not accurately reflect your effort or understanding of the material, you can speak with your teacher or professor about potentially retaking the assignment or exam.

5. How can I prevent receiving undeserved good grades in the future?

The best way to prevent receiving undeserved grades is to consistently put in effort and stay organized throughout the course. This includes attending all classes, participating in discussions, completing assignments on time, and seeking help when needed. Additionally, regularly checking in with your teacher or professor and asking for feedback can also help ensure that your grades accurately reflect your understanding and effort.