What to expect at internship interview

In summary, a 4th year Aeronautical Engineering student is seeking advice on what to expect at an interview for a summer placement internship. They express concern about being interviewed for a position in Systems Design, as their knowledge in this area is limited. However, they mention that the company should already be aware of their academic background. The student also seeks advice on how to make a good impression during the internship, emphasizing the importance of communication and confidence.
aerostudent17
Hi everyone, this is my first post but I hope someone with knowledge in this area could give me som pointers! I'm a 4th year Aeronautical Engineering student, and i have been invited to an interview for a summer placement internship. I'm just wondering what sort of things go on at these interviews/assessment days? Also, when i applied to the company i had to apply for 3 areas and rank them in order of preference...the area i got the interview for was Systems Design...i'm just a bit nervous incase they ask very technical questions on systems/component design as it seems quite avionics/electrical based which I don't really have a very strong knowledge of. But then...they have reviewed my application and what classes i have completed in the past so surely they know this already?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Since you are a undergraduate student they know you probably don't have any in debt knowledge about system design etc. They are probably looking for attitude, adaptability, general knowledge, how well you work with other people. I cannot stress the last part enough. I did and internship together with someone and he did very similar work yet he sat behind his computer with his headset (ipod) on and didn't communicate with other people. At the end of the summer people had very negative feelings about him for being socially "inept". Make sure that a lot of people get to know you and have a positive feeling about you. Also try to radiate confidence in what you want to accomplish, and don't be afraid to ask questions just don't try to ask the same question twice.

1. What should I wear to an internship interview?

It's important to dress professionally for an internship interview. This typically means business attire, such as a suit or dress shirt and slacks. Make sure your clothing is clean and wrinkle-free. It's also a good idea to research the company culture beforehand to get a better sense of the appropriate attire.

2. How should I prepare for an internship interview?

Preparation is key for any interview, including one for an internship. Research the company and the position you are applying for. Practice common interview questions and have examples prepared to showcase your skills and experience. It's also important to have questions prepared to ask the interviewer to demonstrate your interest and knowledge of the company.

3. What kind of questions can I expect in an internship interview?

Internship interviews may include both general and technical questions. General questions may focus on your background, skills, and interest in the company. Technical questions may test your knowledge and skills related to the internship position. It's also common to be asked behavioral questions, which ask for specific examples of past experiences and how you handled them.

4. How long does an internship interview typically last?

The length of an internship interview can vary depending on the company and the position. On average, an internship interview can last anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. It's important to plan for enough time beforehand and arrive early to ensure you are not rushed.

5. What can I do to stand out in an internship interview?

To stand out in an internship interview, make sure you are prepared and have a positive attitude. Show your enthusiasm for the company and the position, and highlight your relevant skills and experiences. It's also important to ask thoughtful questions and listen actively to the interviewer. Follow up with a thank-you email or note after the interview to leave a lasting impression.