What REU's to apply to with a mediocre GPA?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3 replies · 3K views
juulpodzz
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I'm currently a sophomore just about to finish my 3rd semester and I'm trying to apply for some internships over the summer to earn extra money/experience. After today it's looking like my submitted GPA will be a high 3.3 (3.4 if my last final goes very well) because I tanked my freshman fall semester (2.01 GPA that semester). Thankfully I got a 3.9 in the spring and have all As + one B this semester. I also have been doing research with a professor this fall, doing computational stuff about a topic I'm not that interested in, but have learned a lot from. I go to an R1 school which I've heard lowers your chances of getting into an REU, and as a white woman I feel like playing the girl card won't get me very far. My recs are from the professor I'm working with and my math professor with whom I've established a solid relationship. Any advice as to where to apply, or what I can do to put myself out there? Super frustrating that my first semester dropped my GPA so low, making me worry I won't get into much. I've used Java, Python, Linux, and C++ in my research, but only know enough to edit code, not create it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Noticeably absent from your post is any mention of what research areas you are interested in.
 
Sorry about that. I'm currently doing research doing nonlinear dynamics and simulations but want to move towards something either quantum-based or astronomy-related. Since I don't have much experience I'm willing to keep exploring other things too! I'm also planning on triple minoring in math, astronomy, and quantum information science (I know triple minoring is strange but I don't have enough space for a double major and all these only require a couple of extra classes, math being 1 extra class).

Relevant coursework includes a year of astronomy, 15 credits in physics courses including first-year physics, and math up to differential equations/calc 4
 
Why are you not looking at spending a summer at your university, It;s an R1, after all.