1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What to wear to research presentations

1. Mar 23, 2013 #1
    My P.I. tells me to wear a full on formal dress suit, short of a tux, but other professors have told me that their students have attended with just a dress shirt and khakis and that a dress suit is actually too much for something like a poster presentation and could almost make me look bad...is there a correct etiquette for this kind of thing?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What exactly do you mean with "research presentation"? Presentation where? In which area? With which educational background?

Physics:
    Some scientific conference? A dress suit can be seen at the level of professors (especially in theoretic areas), rarely for PhD students.
    Some presentation for media/politics/funding related/...? I think a dress suit is fine.

4. Mar 23, 2013 #3
    Oh, I forgot to mention the specifics in my post...just an undergraduate poster presentation at a symposium for physics/chemistry/biology/engineering. I think the fields are all mixed there.

5. Mar 23, 2013 #4

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

In general, these things default to "business casual" but I would go with what your supervisor tells you. It's not impossible that he or she want to convey a certain level of formalism from everyone in the lab or tha he or she is aware of something you're not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook