What universities have really cool programs for EEs?

In summary, the speaker is an EE student at UC Colorado Springs and is interested in transferring to a university with a strong focus on electromechanics, particularly railgun research. They are also interested in universities with strong EE programs and opportunities for research and clubs, specifically in the fields of EM accelerators, weapons, laser technology, and wireless electricity. They mention considering the University of Texas at Austin, but are open to other options and suggest doing research to find a university that appeals to them. They also mention being partial to their alma mater, Texas A&M, which is known for being veteran friendly.
ryccoh
I'm currently an EE student going to UC Colorado Springs, definitely a decent university but I'd like to really get the best out of my education and since I'm on the Post 9/11 GI bill I don't have to worry about residency requirements. I have been keeping my GPA well polished to be able to make this shift.

I was reading that a lot of early railgun research was done at the Center for Electromechanics at UT Austin and thought that would be a great uni to go to. At this point though they seem to focus mainly on compulsators which is still very interesting.

Can you think of Universities that have just really good EE colleges or are doing cool things like research or clubs?

I love EM accelerators and weapons and very interested in laser technology and wireless electricity but I'm sure I could get interested in many other fields.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I may be partial to my Alma Mater, but Texas A&M is a great school. They are Veteran friendly too, in my experience. Do some research and see what appeals to you.

1. What universities are known for having top-ranked programs in Electrical Engineering?

Some of the top universities for Electrical Engineering include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), California Institute of Technology (Caltech), Stanford University, University of California-Berkeley, and Georgia Institute of Technology.

2. What unique or specialized programs do universities offer for Electrical Engineering?

Many universities offer specialized programs within Electrical Engineering, such as Power and Energy Systems, Autonomous Systems, Biomedical Engineering, and Communication and Networking. Some universities also offer joint programs with other disciplines, such as Electrical Engineering and Computer Science.

3. How do I know if a university's Electrical Engineering program is accredited?

You can check the accreditation of a university's Electrical Engineering program by looking at the website of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET). ABET is the recognized accreditor for college and university programs in applied science, computing, engineering, and engineering technology.

4. What factors should I consider when choosing a university for Electrical Engineering?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a university for Electrical Engineering include the program's curriculum and specialization options, the university's research opportunities and facilities, the faculty's expertise and experience, and the university's industry connections and job placement rates.

5. Are there any universities that offer online programs for Electrical Engineering?

Yes, there are several universities that offer online programs for Electrical Engineering, such as Arizona State University, University of Florida, and University of Texas at Austin. However, it's important to research and make sure the program is accredited and meets your individual educational and career goals before enrolling.