1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B What use is there for rationalizing denominator?

1. May 17, 2016 #1
    I've been learning algebra for the past 2 years (in high school), not once have we ever had to rationalize a denominator in a radical expression. I am now relearning Algebra and Trig., what use is there? I mean, all you're doing is switching the numerator (rational) to the Denominator (irrational) in terms of rationality. (not actually switching the numbers).

Rational / Irrational → Irrational / Rational

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2016 #2
    After quite a while of thinking about this, the only conclusion I can come up with is to simplify it.

Say for example, 6 / √12 → 6√3 / √(12 ⋅ 3) → 6√3 / 6 → √3

4. May 17, 2016 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The main rationale behind this technique is that it's easier to divide an irrational number by a rational number than the other way around, especially if you don't have a calculator or computer to do the work for you.

The technique is also used for fractions that involve complex numbers. For example, ##\frac 1 i## can be simplified by multiplying by the complex conjugate over itself; i.e., by multiplying by ##\frac{-i}{-i}## (which is 1). So ##\frac 1 i = \frac 1 i \cdot \frac{-i}{-i} = \frac{-i}{1} = -i##.

5. May 17, 2016 #4
    Thanks, and a small side question: How do you create the fractions? (on this forum)

6. May 17, 2016 #5

jedishrfu

We use Latex codes and it is rendered by the MathJax javascript library.

https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

There's a simple example of the quadratic formula that has a fraction in it.

7. May 17, 2016 #6

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Regarding the format of math equations: If you see an example math equation here whose format you want to mimic, you can right-click and see the Show Math As => TeX commands. Copy it and surround it with [ tex] ... [/tex]. (Note. I had to insert a space before 'tex' to stop the formatter from parsing it). Here is an example from a post above.

[tex]\frac 1 i = \frac 1 i \cdot \frac{-i}{-i} = \frac{-i}{1} = -i[/tex]

8. May 18, 2016 #7

Mark44

I never use these any more -- I find it simpler to use $$ at the beginning of the expression and $$ at the end -- it's less to type. For stuff that I want to show inline, I use ## at the beginning and two more of them at the end. The ## pairs are equivalent to [itex] ... [/itex].

9. May 18, 2016 #8

pwsnafu

Science Advisor

I personally consider ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} + \frac{1}{\sqrt[3]{3}} = \frac{\sqrt2}{2} + \frac{\sqrt[3]9}{3} = \frac{3\sqrt2+2\sqrt[3]9}{6}## to be simpler than ##\frac{1}{\sqrt2} + \frac1{\sqrt[3]3} = \frac{\sqrt2+\sqrt[3]3}{\sqrt2 \sqrt[3]3}## but this is a YMMV thing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted