What was Daniel Ellsberg's impact on American history?

• History
  • Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary, Daniel Ellsberg, known for his disclosure of the 'Pentagon Papers', passed away today at the age of 92 from pancreatic cancer. His final words were published by Politico 12 days ago. Ellsberg's actions are debated, with some viewing him as a betrayer of his oath while others see him as a whistleblower exposing the betrayal of the public by the Pentagon. The topic of his actions remains controversial, with some also questioning the role of Robert McNamara in the Vietnam War.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award

Likes OmCheeto and hutchphd
Science news on Phys.org
I fall into the “he betrayed his oath” camp.

I fall into the "Robert McNamara: evil genius or just plain evil ?" camp.

Likes BillTre
I fall into the Pentagon betrayed the public camp.

Likes Wrichik Basu, PeroK, Mondayman and 1 other person
I'm in the 'Who dis?' camp.

Likes pinball1970 and russ_watters
Frabjous said:
he betrayed his oath
hutchphd said:
Robert McNamar... just plain evil
Both can be true.

I was astonished that he was still alive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Frabjous, russ_watters and BillTre
Thread paused for Moderation...

Sorry, because there are political views on this subject, we need to close this thread. It's important history that we need to learn from, but as soon as replies diverge into partisan politics, we need to close threads here at PF.

Likes jedishrfu and Bystander

1. How did Daniel Ellsberg impact American history?

Daniel Ellsberg is most well-known for his role in leaking the Pentagon Papers, a top-secret study of the U.S. government's involvement in the Vietnam War, to the press in 1971. This leak exposed the government's dishonesty and manipulation of information regarding the war, leading to increased public opposition and ultimately influencing the government's decision to end the war.

2. What motivated Daniel Ellsberg to leak the Pentagon Papers?

Daniel Ellsberg was a former military analyst who had become disillusioned with the Vietnam War and the government's handling of it. He believed that the American people had a right to know the truth about the war and that the government had been lying to the public. He also hoped that the release of the Pentagon Papers would help end the war.

3. What were the consequences of Daniel Ellsberg's actions?

Daniel Ellsberg faced criminal charges for leaking the Pentagon Papers and was initially charged with espionage and theft. However, the charges were eventually dismissed due to government misconduct and illegal evidence gathering. The release of the Pentagon Papers also sparked a debate about government transparency and the role of the press in holding the government accountable.

4. Did Daniel Ellsberg's actions have a lasting impact on American society?

Yes, Daniel Ellsberg's leak of the Pentagon Papers had a significant impact on American society. It exposed government corruption and dishonesty, leading to increased public mistrust of the government and a greater emphasis on transparency and accountability. It also played a role in the eventual end of the Vietnam War and has been cited as a landmark case for freedom of the press.

5. How is Daniel Ellsberg remembered in American history?

Daniel Ellsberg is remembered as a whistleblower and a symbol of government transparency and accountability. He is also recognized for his bravery in risking his career and freedom to expose the truth about the Vietnam War. Many consider him a hero for his actions, while others view him as a traitor. Regardless, his impact on American history is undeniable.