Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What was your worst moment of procrastination

1. Apr 9, 2009 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

What was your worst "moment" of procrastination

So my laptop stop working... sucks right? I checked out IBM's parts department and whoa, $500 for a new LCD monitor for a 3 year old computer that's 14.1"? I don't think so! Here comes Ebay to save the day where I find identical laptops for only $200! I end up winning one at about $280. I figure I'll just take the monitor off the new laptop and put it on my old one. Then i got to thinking wow! This "new" laptop is so shiny (relatively) and looks much better cosmetically and is almost identical in specifications. The problem is, apparently i ordered a very nice model that had a 1440x'whatever' resolution monitor while this one only had 1024x786. SO! The solution? Transplant the old 1440x'whatever' LCD panel into my new laptop (and hope to god its not the actual panel that's broken) and have a shiny new laptop kinda :).

I had planned on doing this little transplant last week. It's thursday now... I'm utterly amazed at how I can't get myself to actually go and do this! I'm on spring break so I need to do it now but I just can't do it! Does anyone else ever have these horrible moments of procrastination where you just can't get yourself to do something....

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2009 #2

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: What was your worst "moment" of procrastination

Maybe your procastination is justified. Sometimes one knows, "don't do it or you'll be sorry".

4. Apr 9, 2009 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Responding to Monique's geographic location poll. I'm glad someone finally necroposted and refreshed my memory.

5. Apr 9, 2009 #4

This is what I figure as well. At some level he feels this isn't as straightforward as it seems, and actually doing it will simply reveal the problem.

6. Apr 9, 2009 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

It actually is probably one of the most complex things ive ever actually done to a computer haha. I have the service manual and nothing looks hard... im just worried ill put it all back together again and it wont work at all. I am also really procrastinating though because theres soooooo many screws involved and everytime i work with this laptop, i wind up with more and more leftover screws! I swear someday i'm going to turn on my laptop and its going to spontaneously fall apart.

7. Apr 9, 2009 #6

- sleeping before 1 AM
    - waking before 9:30 AM

I had planned to do like 5 things ( reading books etc ) 3 months ago .. don't know why I haven't even touched one of them :shy:

8. Apr 9, 2009 #7

I procrastinate everyday. I hope the things I have to do will go away. Of course they never do, and I eventually get to them. I hate having to do something that you don't want to do. I just have to push myself to get it done. And that is not often. I'll procrastinate for a long time!

9. Apr 9, 2009 #8

Danger

Gold Member

I haven't quite gotten around to filing my '79 tax return. Any day now...

10. Apr 12, 2009 #9

Anytime I was supposed to study and decided to do something else.

I'm feeling it right now actually.

I'm going to have to delay my test tomorrow, maybe... (Independent study hehe) I can't do **** like this in college. Bad sign of future failure? :eek:

Or maybe... college will actually make things easier for me, since I'll get a rush of adrenaline everytime a teacher announces a deadline.

11. Apr 12, 2009 #10

RonL

Gold Member

My worst moment of procrastination was not making my new wife nervous by NOT buying in at Michael Dell's IPO. (1000 shares for $7,500.00 US):eek::cry::cry::cry:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  12. Apr 13, 2009 #11

wolram

Gold Member

About 30yrs ago i was going to pick up a gf and take her home ,i bet she got a lift by now.

13. Apr 13, 2009 #12

I've been wondering for a couple of months whether to take a shower but I can't be bothered to clean up the oil slick remaining from the last shower.Who said procrastination is the thief of time?I think it was a Dickens character.

14. Apr 13, 2009 #13

Danger

Gold Member

That's probably for the best, Woolie. If you had taken her home, you likely wouldn't have Kia.

15. Apr 27, 2009 #14

Less about procrastination, more about a possibility... have you thought about just switching your hard-drive into the new laptop? This is assuming of course that:

A) the models are identical.
    b) it's only the LCD screen that isn't working (since you seem to want the LCD screen as selvage).

I was planning to do that at some point when I dropped and cracked a laptop's screen. Then i discovered I could attach it to an external monitor that the department was putting in the crap pile (and I was having trouble finding a laptop on Ebay that was the same model with an intact screen). Since I didn't have a desktop, I just made the old computer a desktop, and got a new laptop (off "craigslist", from a guy who bought a laptop for his new job before discovering his new job would buy one for him).

Usually those laptop hard-drives are just pop-in/pop-out (at least in my experience).

16. Apr 28, 2009 #15

I just showed up for my 20 year reunion. It was two years ago.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook