What to do to eliminate Procrastination and Perfectionism?

• Thread starter Oxygenne
  • Start date
In summary: If they don't, you should continue working as you see fit, but with an understanding that your boss may not have the same level of detail and expertise that you do.
Oxygenne
I am not sure but I think I have some "procrastination " :rofl: and I am also perfectionist (my boss said)

What to do to eliminate both of them?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll tell you next week.

(seriously, I have the same, I've been feeling **** about it for the last, oh I dunno, ten years, and can't seem to snap out of it. Yet somehow, life stumbles on and so does mine.)

What to do to eliminate both of them?

Procrastination - Start working as soon as you assigned something. You can't procrastinate if you don't give your body a chance to wait.

Perfectionism - Stop being anal, start with accomplishing the general goal first and use any remaining time to flesh out the details second. This way the "perfectionist" details can be scrapped if necessary.

I'll be here all week.

I heard that the frontal is responsible for procrastination.
How to work on it against procrastination?

I delay what I have to do, I do not know what, I cannot explain.

I tried today to do how you said firstly the main goal and then in the limit of the time to revise.

I hope to keep doing like that...

When you are given a task, examine the scope of the task (ask questions if your boss was not specific or is incapable of being specific [bigger problem than you might expect]) and evaluate your skill-set, available tools, and time-frame. This should not take too much time, especially if you are experienced with your company's standards and your boss' peculiarities. Jump into the work, and present your boss with an early progress report, with an emphasis on where YOU see your work leading you. Don't suck up. You have likely developed more expertise in this assigned project than your boss has and you are in a position to make him/her look good.

This kind of progressive attitude kills procrastination, and it kills the perception that you are too much of a perfectionist. If you hit your boss with a well-ordered work-in-progress, the onus is on him/her to provide direction.

1. How do I stop procrastinating?

To eliminate procrastination, it is important to understand the root cause of your procrastination. This could be a fear of failure, feeling overwhelmed, or simply not having a clear plan. Once you identify the underlying reason for your procrastination, you can work on addressing it. Some strategies for overcoming procrastination include breaking tasks into smaller, more manageable chunks, setting clear and realistic deadlines, and finding an accountability partner or using a productivity tool.

2. What can I do to overcome perfectionism?

Perfectionism can often lead to procrastination and can be a difficult habit to break. One approach to overcoming perfectionism is to practice self-compassion and acceptance of imperfection. Instead of striving for perfection, focus on doing your best and being satisfied with the outcome. Other strategies include setting realistic expectations, reframing mistakes as learning opportunities, and seeking support from others.

3. How can I increase my motivation to get things done?

Motivation is often linked to having a clear goal and a sense of purpose. To increase your motivation, it can be helpful to set specific and achievable goals, break tasks into smaller steps, and remind yourself of the benefits of completing the task. It can also be helpful to find ways to make the task more enjoyable, such as listening to music or incorporating breaks into your work schedule.

4. Is it better to focus on one task at a time or multitask?

While some people may feel they are more productive when multitasking, research has shown that focusing on one task at a time can actually lead to better results. Switching between tasks can decrease productivity and increase the likelihood of errors. It is best to prioritize your tasks and focus on one at a time to ensure you are giving each task your full attention and producing high-quality work.

5. How can I create a more organized and structured approach to my work?

Creating a structured and organized approach to your work can help combat both procrastination and perfectionism. Start by setting specific goals and deadlines for yourself, and then break tasks into smaller steps. Use a planner or to-do list to keep track of your tasks and progress. It can also be helpful to establish a routine or schedule for your work, and to regularly reassess and adjust your approach as needed.