What Wavelength Does a 100mW Laser Deliver 3.5x10^17 Photons in One Second?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jethom18
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Wavelength
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Jethom18
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



At what wavelength does a 100mW laser deliver 3.5 x 1017 photons in one second?
h (plancks) = 6.626x 10^-34
c = 3 x 10^8

Homework Equations



E = hf ==> E = hc / n (wavelength) ==> n = hc / E
Power = Energy / Time

The Attempt at a Solution



Energy = Power * Time ==> (100x10^-3 W)(3.5x10^17 photons)(1 second) = 3.5x10^16
n = hc / E ==> (3x10^8)(6.626x10^-34) / (3.5x10^16) = 5.65 x 10 ^-42 m

I think I calculated energy incorrectly, but I don't know any other formula I could use. Any help is appreciated..

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org