What will happen to Mrs. Miers?

• News
  • Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
In summary, there are various predictions about what will happen to the Miers nomination. Some believe she could be fillibustered and then appointed in a recess appointment, while others think she will be quickly confirmed. There are also concerns about her potential as a justice and doubts about her qualifications. Some believe she will not even make it to the floor, but unfortunately, that option could not be included in the poll. It is possible that President Bush may make a recess appointment for the Supreme Court, as seen with John Kennedy and Thurgood Marshall. Some also believe that rejecting the Miers nomination could have negative consequences for the next nominee. Others question her health and impartiality, and there are discussions about her stance on abortion. Despite

What will come of the Miers nomination?

• She will be given a floor vote and rejected, mostly by Democrats

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • She will be given a floor vote and rejected, mostly by Republicans

• She will be fillibustered by Democrats, eventually rejected

• She will be fillibustered by Republicans, eventually confirmed

• She willbe fillibustered by Republicans, eventually rejected

• She will be fillibustered bi-partisanly, eventually confirmed

• She will be fillibustered bi-partisanly, eventually rejected

• Total voters
wasteofo2
Just want to see some solid predictions about what'll happen to the Miers nomination.

Unfortunately, I couldn't fit in all the options.

She could be fillibustered until Congress takes a recess and appointed in a recess appointment, Bolton style. Come to think of it, that actually seems like the most likley option, unless she's quickly rejected.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
She'll be confirmed.

She'll be a very weak justice.

I hope I am wrong on #1. #2 I have less concern about. But I thought the Roberts nomination had merit, and this candidate just doesn't seem to be in the same ballpark.

Where's "She will not even make it to the floor"?

Didn't know it was a poll, I voted for the filibuster --> confirmation.

faust9 said:
Where's "She will not even make it to the floor"?
Not enough room for it, would've put it if I could.

Though if she doesn't make it to the floor, Bush'll probabally just pull a recess appointment.

Can you do that for the SC??

Well, I'm seeing Bork here, so my vote would have been she wouldn't even make it to the floor. I chose the next best thing.

pattylou said:
I believe that's how John Kennedy got Thurgood Marshall, the first black supreme court justice, on the court.

pattylou said:
You can make a recess appointment for the USSC, but it's only affective until the next session of Congress convenes - i.e. until Jan 2006.

I voted rejected bipartisanly. There's one big problem with withdrawing her. A defeat for Bush now and the loss of respect that would create just makes the next nominee an impossible proposition. He goes with a nominee that appeals to his right, the left and moderates have no fear of voting against them. He goes with a moderate nominee, his own right will have no fear against dropping their support for him. The second would be the only feasible option should he replace Miers, but he'll have no political base if he caves into the moderates and left.

His 'political capital' is just about completely spent. He has to see the Mier's nomination out to its end, one or the other, or give up all hope of having any second term agenda.

Or, the shifts we saw post-Katrina become more exaggerated and he tries to generate a political base by switching to the Democratic Party. That would be dramatic. Sure, it's extremely unlikely, but, hey, after you've been 'born again' once, it's gets easier the second time. Eventually, he could even say, "I know reincarnation's real! I've been reborn nineteen times before."

If you look closely at Miers, she appears to be in ill health. She is an amateur, it is obvious she is a one trick pony being put in place to facilitate one issue. The issue is abortion.

We need seasoned jurists to run our Supreme Court, and since this adminstration is dead in the water, regardless of how much spin is bought and paid for, there is no danger to any Senator or Representative to oppose this nominee. Somewhere, somehow the Houses Of Congress will once again serve the people of this nation. Rejecting the Miers nomination would be a good start.

I am hoping for #4, but then Senator (D-NM) Harry Reid supports Miers. :rolleyes:

I do not think she has the necessary experience, and she does not appear to be as impartial as I would like in an Associate Justice.

And I really have to question her judgement if she thinks Bush is intelligent - or rather the "most intelligent" man she has ever known. ARRGGGHHH! :rolleyes:

I haven't been following it that closely, but from the bits and pieces I've heard, Republicans weren't supporting her because she lacks intellectual prowess and they didn't know her position on abortion. Then it came out that she had expressed an anti-abortion opinion at some point in her life and the Republicans are now supporting her. Go figure.

jimmysnyder said:
I haven't been following it that closely, but from the bits and pieces I've heard, Republicans weren't supporting her because she lacks intellectual prowess and they didn't know her position on abortion. Then it came out that she had expressed an anti-abortion opinion at some point in her life and the Republicans are now supporting her. Go figure.
Which Republicans? Republicans aren't exactly the epitome of a united party right now.

Ooops! Better add another option to the poll. :rofl:

I'm delighted to be wrong!

Yay!

11. She'll become a bag lady or one of those ladies with 30 cats in her house.

The Smoking Man said:
11. She'll become a bag lady or one of those ladies with 30 cats in her house.
I'm changing my vote, then. :rofl:

1. What is the likelihood of Mrs. Miers being confirmed as a Supreme Court Justice?

As a scientist, I cannot predict the future with certainty. However, based on current political dynamics and her qualifications, it is likely that Mrs. Miers will be confirmed as a Supreme Court Justice.

2. How will Mrs. Miers' confirmation impact the balance of the Supreme Court?

If confirmed, Mrs. Miers' appointment to the Supreme Court will maintain the current balance of ideologies, with a slight shift towards the conservative side.

3. What is Mrs. Miers' background and experience in the legal field?

Mrs. Miers is a lawyer and former White House counsel, with over 30 years of experience in the legal field. She has worked in both public and private sectors, handling various cases and serving in different roles throughout her career.

4. How does Mrs. Miers' nomination compare to previous Supreme Court nominations?

Mrs. Miers' nomination is unique in that she does not have prior experience as a judge, unlike most previous nominees. However, there have been other nominees in the past who were not judges before being appointed to the Supreme Court.

5. What are the potential consequences of Mrs. Miers' confirmation or rejection?

If confirmed, Mrs. Miers will serve as a Supreme Court Justice and have a significant impact on the decisions made by the highest court in the country. If rejected, the nomination process will likely start over with a new nominee being chosen by the President.