What would be the extensiveness of a

• Thread starter E8
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around a potential gas station explosion caused by a BMW dripping flames near the pumps. The narrator's roommate believes they are safe at a distance, but the narrator is concerned about the potential damage and urges to leave. They also discuss the safety measures of gas stations and the potential size of the explosion.
E8
Gas station exploding? I know this is a crazy to ask right now but me and my roomate just came out of a gas station and an early model BMW pulls in front of us and was dripping flames under the hood right by the pumps. We told the guy to get it away from the pumps so he manages pushes just over the main tanks where the tankers pump it in are. The car suddenly just goes up in flames before he could get it any further.

So my roomate, like an idiot, thinks we're safe just one parking lot over definitely less then a hundred yards away IMO. My roomate insists it was a football field and wants to stay and watch the fireworks. Anyways I don't think it matters b/c If the gas station were to blow up I'd imagine a crater well over a football field or two at least. So I'm arguing to get out of there and he wants to stay b/c he thinks we're far enough away. I'd imagine the gas station is very well protected from something like this to happen but let's just say the tanks do go up how far could the damage reach? Now he's running his mouth in the background saying if it did blow up it wouldn't have even blown up the waffle house RIGHT next to it.

He won't believe anything I say so I figure if it comes out of here he'd believe it. Now he's saying the explosion wouldn't do anything b/c it would go straight up and not in an outward sphere. This may be the case if they design the tanks in such a manner...whatever I'm done w/ this please just correct one of us or both of us. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the UK all of the petrol tanks have been made bomb proof so that the IRA could not blow them up, I am not sure if they have done this anywhere else but i would have thought so(seems a wise idea to me). As for how large the explosion would be i dunno, all depends on how large the Tanks and how much fuel they have in them, and it also depends on if you can get someone smart enough to do the maths to work it out.

Thanks Andy, anybody else give it a try?

What would be the extensiveness of a virus?

The extensiveness of a virus depends on several factors, including its ability to infect different types of hosts, its mode of transmission, and its virulence. Some viruses may have a limited range of hosts and can only be transmitted through direct contact, while others may have a broad range of hosts and can be transmitted through various means, such as through the air or through contaminated surfaces.

What would be the extensiveness of a species?

The extensiveness of a species refers to its geographic distribution and the number of individuals within its population. Some species may have a wide range and can be found in different habitats and regions, while others may have a limited distribution and can only survive in specific environments. The extensiveness of a species can also be affected by factors such as climate change, human activities, and competition with other species.

What would be the extensiveness of a scientific theory?

The extensiveness of a scientific theory refers to its ability to explain a wide range of observations and phenomena. A robust and well-supported scientific theory should have a broad scope and be able to make predictions about various aspects of the natural world. The extensiveness of a theory can also increase over time as new evidence and data are collected and incorporated into the theory.

What would be the extensiveness of a natural disaster?

The extensiveness of a natural disaster can vary depending on its type and severity. Some natural disasters, such as hurricanes or earthquakes, may have a widespread impact, affecting large areas and causing significant damage. Others, such as localized floods or wildfires, may have a more limited extensiveness but can still have devastating effects on the affected areas and communities.

What would be the extensiveness of a scientific study?

The extensiveness of a scientific study depends on its research design and objectives. Some studies may have a narrow focus and only examine a specific aspect or phenomenon, while others may have a broader scope and investigate multiple variables or relationships. The extensiveness of a study can also be influenced by the sample size, data collection methods, and statistical analyses used in the research.