Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B What would happen if the Sun collided with a similar star?

1. Apr 20, 2016 #1
    What would happen if the Sun collided with an exact copy of itself? I can't find any information online about this exact scenario. So what would happen to the Sun? What would happen to the Earth and the rest of the planets?

Any information or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I did a Google search on:

When stars collide

and got lots of good hits, including a Wikipedia article. Have you already been through that hit list?

4. Apr 20, 2016 #3
    Yeah I have and there isn't very much on two sun-like stars colliding, and i couldnt find anything on how it would effect the earth of our own Sun was one of the involved stars.

5. Apr 20, 2016 #4

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It would depend on velocities and on how direct/glancing the collision was. Two stars might merge or they might not. Ditto for the planets, effects range from minimal to destruction depending on the velocity and angle of the second star, plus the direct hit/glancing hit extent of a collision.

I don't see any significant difference between two sun-size stars or two exact copies.

6. Apr 20, 2016 #5
    If they don't merge, would they just explode?

7. Apr 20, 2016 #6

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

Try the term 'stellar collision'
    I get hundreds of hits, plus graphics.
    start:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_collision

Before you go off the deep end with suppositions, these collisions probably happen in binary (or more start systems). Earth's nearest neighbor star is is Proxima centauri, about 4.25 light years away. In miles that is 2,498,400,000,000 miles away. Average distance of nearby stars - a gross estimate is 6.3 light years apart. Absurdly far away to worry about right now.

@GiantSheeps please do some reading before you ask more questions. A lot of what you asked is explained in the article I linked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook