What would you see looking outward from inside a black hole's event horizon?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Randy Subers
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Black hole Hole
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
Randy Subers
Messages
14
Reaction score
1
TL;DR
What does it look like looking out from inside a black hole?
For this assume General and Special Relativity and not some of the quantum enhancements that have been proposed for them. If I were an astronaut who just crossed the event horizon on a galaxy center type black hole (big enough so I would not be immediately spaghettified) and avoided the accretion disk and any jets on the way in and looked outward (away from the singularity) just after I crossed the event horizon, what would I see?
A more or less normal star field?
A severely distorted star field?
Pure black? or
Something really strange?

Also if I then looked around my spacecraft would it look normal (pre-spagettification)?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Randy Subers said:
just after I crossed the event horizon, what would I see?

Andrew Hamilton has created a great series of videos on this (not just the specific point right after the astronaut crosses the horizon, but the whole infall process, from far above the horizon all the way through down to the singularity):

https://jila.colorado.edu/hamilton/black-holes/journey-schwarzschild-black-hole
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman