Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's in Your Bag(/backpack/briefcase/purse/man-bag)?

1. Nov 12, 2008 #1
    Am I the only one who has an interest in what people carry around with them? Forgive me if it sounds deviant or weird but I find that what people have on them can tell you a lot about them :)

For myself, generally a backpack, laptop, textbook, journal, fiction book, pencils+pens, compass (the drawing kind), laptop cord, and a million smaller knick-knacks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2008 #2
    In my backpack I have: two binders, algebra 2 textbook, AP Biology lab notebook, and a notebook for doodling, etc. Plus a TI 83 and a back up calculator and some pens and pencils in the front pocket, and then, as far as a random item, I have a stolen New Mexico flag...

4. Nov 12, 2008 #3
    Oh, don't even get me started in what I carry in my purse. Pretty much, you name it, I have it in there. Then, for school, I carry a book bag as well, and that has many more things that are needed. If you want me to take all the time, I can name everything in them....

5. Nov 12, 2008 #4
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1882820&postcount=2

Plus a binder and engineering notepad for my course notes.

I only take notes in one of my two classes anymore though. The other one I just sit there and listen to him talk becaues he just writes whats in the book. I get bored copying all that down and I cant follow along. I just listen to him talk and then if I need an equation I look at the book. He wrote the book, so why bother taking notes?

6. Nov 12, 2008 #5
    I carry a million dollars in cash with me everywhere, in a titanium steel briefcase handcuffed to my wrist.

I used to travel lots for work and I would carry generic postcards with me everywhere because I usually had to rush all over the place once I got where I was going so I didn't have time to buy postcards wherever I was. I wouldn't remember to write a postcard out to anyone until I was sitting in the airport waiting for my flight home, usually. Then while I was writing it out I would imagine sweet violin music playing in the background, like in Civil War documentaries when the narrator is reading parts of a letter a soldier sent home. Then I would go and mail the postcard and stop at a Cinnabon and buy a giant iced cinnamon bun the size of my head and spend the flight in a sugar coma.

7. Nov 13, 2008 #6
    Cyrus: I'm jealous of your messenger! I have to root around and see if I can buy a similar one someday.

Sure you can name everything in it! I didn't because the list changes all the time but it'd be fun to see what other people tote around :)

By the way, am I the only college student who wants to hire a valet to carry my bags around? If I use a messenger, I have to put my laptop in a separate case. If I use my backpack, I have to carry the laptop or I'll topple over backwards. If I just carry the laptop, that's a bad idea because everything else I need is in one of the other bags!

8. Nov 13, 2008 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have a wallet and some keys, in my pocket. The wallet is devoid of anything that could be called money.

9. Nov 13, 2008 #8

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Three slide rules (2 10", plus a 6") and a TI-86, just in case I have to stage a math assault on a classroom held hostage by a Lit professor.

At least 50 scraps of paper containing pin numbers and passwords that are surely obsolete by now - not that it matters, since I don't remember what accounts they go to, nor my username if I did somehow remember what account they go to.

I also have an Air Force Emergency Response sheet, although calling it a sheet instead of a text book is a misnomer. It's something I should always carry in my wallet when I'm on base, except it's so thick that it violates Britney Gallivan's equation for folding things.

I also have a small stapler and staples, a cleaning pad for my slide rules, a small flashlight, a device for cleaning my glasses, a slew of badges that grant me access to various workplaces and computers, plus an interface cable for something - it might be for my TI-86. I also have a spoon and napkin, just in case I have to stage a math assault on a picnic.

I have various pens and pencils (including an old RCA pencil with a slide to match resistor colors to their values), a metal ruler, a nice looking hatband (even though everyone I know prefers the hatband with the resistors and capacitors), a memory stick, a couple of erasers, plus various recall and on-call rosters.

Temporary objects usually contain two or three folders containing "stuff" from my current project (either professional or personal).

My backpack has a collapsible handle and wheels (kind of like airport luggage). All-in-all, it's a mobile assault office.

Edit: And Kurdt just reminded me: there's green stuff in my wallet - unfortunately, it's not money.

I also carry a Swiss Army knife. I can open a beer bottle on a second's notice, plus the opener serves as a handy handle for zipping the windows on my Jeep. I use the screwdriver attachments fairly often as well. The tweezers come in handy, too. Once in a while, I even cut something with one of the knife blades.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  10. Nov 13, 2008 #9
    I have a bag that I carry every day. It has all matter of top secret stuff in it.

11. Nov 13, 2008 #10

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No anti-matter?

Not to mention that you could probably use a dose of energy.

12. Nov 13, 2008 #11

wolram

Gold Member

It depends where i am going, if i go across the feilds, i take my swiss army knife and a pack of sugar free polo mints and my keys.
    If i go out i have some cash ,my credit card ,same type mints, keys and a hankie.

13. Nov 13, 2008 #12
    When I worked at WPAFRL, we were having so many computer-outages due to viruses that I kept a circular slide rule in a bell jar next to my computer... to break into in case of emergency! :rofl: :rofl:

But seriously... where's the AK-47? Buried under the green stuff leaking from the wallet? :yuck:

14. Nov 13, 2008 #13

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Tonight: a TI-89, a writing pad, The Quantum Ten by Sheilla Jones, An Introduction to Thermal Physics by Daniel Schroeder, Introduction to Elementary Particles (2nd, revised edition) by David Griffiths, A Relativist's Toolkit: The Mathematics of Black-Hole Mechanics by Eric Poisson, A Course in Modern Mathematical Physics: Groups, Hilbert Space and Differential Geometry by Peter Szekeres.

15. Nov 13, 2008 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Anytime I go to a jobsite, I usually need a car trunk full of equipment - scope, meters, computers, power supplies, programming modules or interface equipment, backup software... This is one reason why air travel is such a royal pain. I've packed as much as ~100 lbs worth of equipment in my Samsonite heavy duty. Nothing like dragging that beast, my regular suitcase, and two computers, around a place like O'Hare.

I've noticed lately that I have an awful lot of keys and I don't remember what most of them are for anymore. I know that I have some keys for State facilities and other customer sites where I've done work, but most are a mystery; thus my reluctance to get rid of them.

16. Nov 13, 2008 #15
    Pens, pencils, pencil sharpener, white out (I've never actually had a use for it :-/), eraser, corkscrew/bottle opener, condoms, mints, cologne, paperclips, rubberbands, spare change, matches, lighters, extra pack of smokes, pepper spray, handcuffs, small flashlight, batteries, utility belt, random scraps of paper or pieces of mail, expandable file folder with paperwork/schedules/check stubs/ect, a novel or two (currently Confessions of An Ugly Stepsister), ibuprofen, pocket CA penal code, fork, spoon, swiss army knife, and what ever other things I may wind up dropping in there.

The trunk of my car is the crazy list.

17. Nov 13, 2008 #16
    Left jean pocket: Pen, keys
    Right pocket: Cell phone, spare change if I happen to have some
    Right rear pocket: wallet
    Left rear pocket: If someone hands me a flier I place it there.

18. Nov 14, 2008 #17

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Corkscrew, condoms, mints, cologne and extra pack of smokes, pepper spray, handcuffs, utility belt, and a pocket CA penal code. Sounds you're preparing to go out on a date.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?