Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's the fastest space pulls apart from itself?

1. Apr 24, 2008 #1
    Physics says no object moves faster than C. Physics allows for space itself, as the substrate for objects, to expand faster than C. My question is how much faster? 2 or 3 times C?

ty.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2008 #2

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

I don't think there's a limit. Theoretically you could crank the dark energy "parameter" up on a hypothetical universe, and get it to expand infinitely fast.

4. Apr 25, 2008 #3
    Ok, but given observation isn't there a current observed limit. If I recall correctly, any two objects seperated by a distance corresponding to a redshift of z=1.6 are moving away from one another at C. So what about objects at z=7 and up?

5. Apr 26, 2008 #4
    Inflation is the best example, we're talking speed that makes most science fiction look weak by comparison.

6. Apr 27, 2008 #5

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

There is no effective limit on the pace of expansion. It appears to have been very rapid in the early universe. Bear in mind, however, this assumes the redshift-distance relationship is valid [which is a fairly safe assumption].

7. Apr 28, 2008 #6
    Chronos, what limit would you guesstimate based on current observations?

8. Apr 29, 2008 #7

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

1000x speed of light.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?