What's the safest way out of these two caves?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Poirot1
  • Start date
In summary, you are faced with two caves, one leading to certain death and the other to safety. Each cave is guarded by a different guard, one who always tells the truth and one who always lies. You are allowed to ask one question to either guard. What should you ask in order to determine which cave leads to safety?
Poirot1
You must enter one of two caves. One cave leads to certain death, the other to safety. A guard stands at each entrance, one who always tells the truth and one who always lies. You make ask one question to either of the guards. What should you ask?
Not difficult by an means but entertained me when I was younger.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Poirot said:
You must enter one of two caves. One cave leads to certain death, the other to safety. A guard stands at each entrance, one who always tells the truth and one who always lies. You make ask one question to either of the guards. What should you ask?
Not difficult by an means but entertained me when I was younger.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You ask either guard what the other would say if asked which lead to safety, then take the other.

CB

Last edited:
I remember this one... Except when it was told to me, it was TweedleDee and TweedleDum from Alice In Wonderland instead of guards.

1. What factors should I consider when determining the safest way out of these two caves?

When determining the safest way out of two caves, you should consider factors such as the stability of the cave structure, the presence of any potential hazards or obstacles, and the availability of light and oxygen.

2. How can I assess the stability of the cave structure?

You can assess the stability of the cave structure by looking for signs of structural damage or collapse, such as cracks, loose rocks, or unstable ceilings. You can also listen for any sounds of shifting or rumbling.

3. What types of hazards should I be aware of when choosing a safe way out of the caves?

You should be aware of potential hazards such as steep drops, narrow passages, slippery surfaces, and water hazards. You should also be aware of the presence of any wildlife or dangerous gases.

4. Should I choose the shortest route or the one with the most light when deciding on the safest way out of the caves?

It is generally recommended to choose the route with the most light as it will provide better visibility and reduce the risk of getting lost or injured. However, if the shortest route is well-lit and does not have any other hazards, it may also be a safe option.

5. Is it better to go alone or with a group when exploring caves?

It is always safer to explore caves with a group rather than going alone. This allows for better navigation, assistance in case of emergencies, and a greater chance of being found if you get lost. It is also important to inform someone outside of the cave of your plans and expected return time.