What's your favourite masterpiece of architecture?

In summary: Colosseum. The Roman Empire was actually much more advanced than the Greeks in terms of technology and engineering.Greeks are cool but they didn't come up with arches and domes...Arches yes, domes not sure about. But the Hagia Sohpia was the largest Domed structure for a LONG time.
kasse
There are many beautiful buildings around the world, like the library of Alexandria, the Louvre, The Colosseum...

It's difficult to pick one, but Sydney Operahouse

http://www.nettravel.cz/Data/Foto/421475/1024/Australie-Sydney-opera-V-Sydney-Australie-1012.jpg

scores high on my ranking. The designer is Danish, by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm partial to domes. St. Peter's and Paul's are both spectacular, but Il Duomo in Florence is my favorite, especially since you can climb up over its bricks and timbers between the two shells on your way to the cupola on top. The Pantheon is amazing because it is huge, and was built with concrete, by the ancient Romans.

Romans are the best. 1000 years later and still standing.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Greeks are better, plus the romans stole all there ideas from the greeks.

If you like domes, Hagia Sophia is best IMHO:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagia_Sophia

Ursula Andress...
'nuff said.

cyrusabdollahi said:

1000 years ? you mean more like 2000 years...

marlon

And the rest, few are from 500BC.

But this is young for Greek ruins. In fact the oldest ruins in Italy are Greek in Sicaly

Anttech said:

If you like domes, Hagia Sophia is best IMHO:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagia_Sophia

I know that, but the greeks did not have great structures like the romans at the roman scale.

Anttech said:
Greeks are cool but they didn't come up with arches and domes...

La Sagrada Familia

p_61_La-Sagrada-Familia-barcelon.jpg

http://www-cdr.stanford.edu/~wgriffin/photoAlbums/EuropeTrip_10_02/Barcelona%20Spain/images/019%20-%20Sagrada%20Familia%20-%20Gaudi%20side.jpg

I have to be in the right mood for that, though!

Hmm..Taj Mahal, perhaps?

Gokul's dead on with this, the Sagrada Familia is absolutely incredible. And it's not even finished yet.

Also a big fan of Bilbao's Guggenheim museum:

http://www.itea.arcelor.com/imagenes/edificios/estado/223-126-Guggenheim%20(Large).jpg

i would have to go with the sagrada familia also. it will be finished in my lifetime luckily. :approve:

http://img286.imageshack.us/img286/9472/sagradafamiliadrawingvy5.png

i also like the hagia sophia & the surrounding buildings. it reminds me of theed (the naboo capital city) in star wars.

The Burj al-Arab hotel.

Attachments

• burj01.jpg
    burj01.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 446
Evo said:
The Burj al-Arab hotel.

That's the one with the tenniscourt on top right ? Where Federer and Agassi once played an exhibition "match".

marlon

marlon said:
That's the one with the tenniscourt on top right ? Where Federer and Agassi once played an exhibition "match".

marlon
Yes. :bugeye:

Attachments

• Tennis_court_Burj_Al_Arab_hotel.jpg
    Tennis_court_Burj_Al_Arab_hotel.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 572
They actually played tennis on the helipad. Tiger Woods hit a golf ball into the sea.

Evo said:

That is awesome.

Evo said:

WOW, man man man...I agree with Evo, this is some impressive building.

BRAVO

marlon

I would love to have my office there...Way up high in fresh air to get lots of inspiration for whatever it is i would be doin'

:rofl:

Lol, then a big gust of wind comes along and blows all your papers into the ocean. :rolleyes:

dontdisturbmycircles said:
Lol, then a big gust of wind comes along and blows all your papers into the ocean. :rolleyes:

hey, i work with a pc man...this is 2006 :wink:

marlon

Lol, true enough marlon.

I have to agree with arildno, the Taj Mahal is very nice.

White these may not be the most beautiful, they are definitely the most awe inspiring in my mind.

http://faculty.etsu.edu/kortumr/03egypt/adobejpgimages/19gizalarge.jpg

Also I would concede that they are no great feat in architecture, but for their time, they were!

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
I know that, but the greeks did not have great structures like the romans at the roman scale.

What are you saying :) Ma Va! The greeks of course had the great structures, from the ancient times. Have you ever been on the hills of the acropolis in Athens? Have you ever seen any of the ancient temples sewn across all the islands of Greece, From Crete to Aegina? Have you ever been to the coast of Turkey? Perhaps even Sicily?

All the classical Roman architecture you will see, has its roots in Greek Architecture.

Last edited:
marcusl said:
Greeks are cool but they didn't come up with arches and domes...

Arches yes, domes not sure about. But the Hagia Sohpia was the largest Domed structure for a LONG time.

The greeks used Arches in architectures before anyone else did, especially in bridges...

Anttech said:
What are you saying :) Ma Va! The greeks of course had the great structures, from the ancient times. Have you ever been on the hills of the acropolis in Athens? Have you ever seen any of the ancient temples sewn across all the islands of Greece, From Crete to Aegina? Have you ever been to the coast of Turkey? Perhaps even Sicily?

All the classical Roman architecture you will see, has its roots in Greek Architecture.

Yes, I know that. :rolleyes: But the Romans actually BUILT massive structures at a scale the Greeks did not.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Yes, I know that. :rolleyes: But the Romans actually BUILT massive structures at a scale the Greeks did not.
Compared to what, the greeks thought of massive structures? :cool:

Have you seen how big the Parthenon is? Or perhaps the Olympic stadium, or the Temple to Aphia, or Light house in Alexandria.

Sorry I really don't get what you are referring to. Yes there is more Roman stuff standing in Rome, but that doesn't say anything about the scale of the Greek Civilisation or the amount of structures they built 2000 to 3000 years ago, or even the size of those structures.

In fact the Romans would have amount to squat if it wasnt for the Greeks, but that's just speculation on my part :tongue2:

Last edited:

What is your favourite masterpiece of architecture?

As a scientist, it is difficult for me to choose just one favourite masterpiece of architecture as there are countless incredible structures around the world. However, if I had to choose, I would say the Taj Mahal in India. Its intricate design, beautiful symmetry, and rich history make it a true masterpiece of architecture.

What makes a structure a masterpiece of architecture?

A masterpiece of architecture is a structure that is not only aesthetically pleasing, but also serves a purpose, whether it be functional, cultural, or symbolic. It must also exhibit exceptional craftsmanship, innovation, and attention to detail.

What other masterpieces of architecture would you recommend visiting?

There are so many incredible masterpieces of architecture around the world, it is difficult to recommend just a few. However, some other must-see structures include the Great Wall of China, the Colosseum in Rome, and the Burj Khalifa in Dubai.

How does architecture impact society and the environment?

Architecture has a significant impact on society and the environment. It shapes the way we live, work, and interact with our surroundings. It also plays a crucial role in sustainability, as sustainable design and construction practices can reduce the negative impact on the environment and promote a healthier society.

What advancements in technology have influenced architecture?

Technology has greatly influenced architecture, allowing for innovative and complex designs that were not possible before. Advancements in materials, construction techniques, and computer-aided design software have all played a role in pushing the boundaries of architecture and creating modern masterpieces.

Back