What's your favourite childhood science memory?

• Thread starter Currawong
  • Start date
Oh I loved the experiments, that mom and dad would set up for us to try.

*One was the old pill bottles with easy off caps, then using water and alka seltzer, then watch them explode :biggrin:

*taking a glass filled with water, with one ice cube, and place a cotton string on it, then put a lil bit of salt and watch it stick.

There are plenty more I could say, we had an awesome book that had cool, easy, and cheap experiments, that explained the concept behind it all, in "stupid people" terms.

Playing with ants. I don't remember how many years I spent then trying to self learn about their behavior or stalking them. I remember giving them food too.

Don't get me started with ants - just to say that a light socket was rather effective. Or the 12"X12" Fresnel lens that would vaporize them. Muriatic acid too?

Really, one excellent scientific experience was visiting Edmund Scientific in New Jersey, and fantasizing about all of the surplus materials (e.g., Fresnel lens) there. There was perhaps the first ongoing laser light show. Got a cool electromagnet there, supposedly lifted 500 pounds with a "D" battery.

I had lots of Legos, Lincoln Logs, and the like when I was a kid. I began taking things apart to try to understnad how they work and at one point was given a chain saw to take apart (sans gasoline of course) and was challenged to take an old tracter apart. Unfortunately that was at my aunt and uncles house that I rarely got to go to so never really got any where with it. :-(

I would say that reading and problem solving are probably the most important aspects of their education to stress. Other than that allow them to strike out on their own path and attempt to support their decisions as much as possible. They may not be scientists at heart and trying to push them along that path could stunt their progress in more prefered areas of pursuit.

Of course just following their whims can be bad too. My parents tried to follow my persuits on a day to day basis. As a result I gained a slight grounding in various areas but nothing substantial in any single one. I have a general knowledge of various forms or art, very basic grounding in various sciences, some history, and some literature under my belt. Most of the specific knowledge I have is due to my own study and experience on my own without regard to my parents or schooling.

Parenting is a difficult thing and I both envy and do not envy your position. Just try and you will do well regardless of the out come. :-)

Hi, I'm new here. I'm a homeschooling mum with five- and two-year-old boys. The five-year-old seems to be shaping up as a scientist. He loves doing experiments both made up and by direction and he loves discussing why things happen and explaining them to people. The other day he made his own centrifuge with the lid of a wok and some bits and pieces (it was then that I looked it up and realised that centripetal force is the modern way of looking at it apparently).

I'm not a particularly scientific person (okay, it's obvious I'm not at all a scientific person) but I'm really eager to learn and pass a little knowledge at least onto my son (he has been getting a lot from the Net and books thus far). We've done a lot of the basic experiments like bicarb soda reactions and balloon stuff and we're always on the lookout for a new experiment.

So...my question to all you scientists is what really inspired you as a young scientist? What spurred you on to discover things and further your science? What did you love most about your scientific learning?
You should read "The Pleasure of Finding Things Out" by Richard P. Feynman. If you haven't read it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0738203491/?tag=pfamazon01-20&tag=pfamazon01-20

Feynman's father wasn't a scientist but he was very scientific. There's a lot of father to son relationships in the book.

Last edited by a moderator: