What's your most refreshing drink?

• Thread starter skyshrimp
  • Start date
In summary, Coca-Cola has a nice bite which I think is mainly due to the phosphoric acid. It really hits the back of your throat when you gulp down an ice cold can. I'd like to experiment one day and make Coca-Cola a little stronger by adding more phosphoric acid. Then I wonder how much is in there already and how much more I could add safely.
skyshrimp
I drink a lot of bitter lemon. I don't think you have it in the USA. In the UK, it's cloudy lemonade with quinine which is used as a mixer, but I drink it as is with loads of ice.

I once added a little citric acid powder to orange juice to make it sour. That tasted nice and refreshing. I'd like to add quinine hydrochloride to juice to see what that tastes like.

Coca-Cola has a nice bite which I think is mainly due to the phosphoric acid. It really hits the back of your throat when you gulp down an ice cold can. I'd like to experiment one day and make Coca-Cola a little stronger by adding more phosphoric acid. Then I wonder how much is in there already and how much more I could add safely.

What's your go to drink on a hot day?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would stay away from any "modifications", especially with acids. Bitter lemon and ginger ale are best the way they are! I always find grapefruit juice very similar to bitter lemon, so it's a kind of an alternative. As strange as it may sound, but I like to mix coke with apple juice, eventually some citric acid added. And I was glad as I recently found birch juice. It tastes a bit like the juice made from elder flowers, which I also like very much.

skyshrimp said:
I drink a lot of bitter lemon. I don't think you have it in the USA.

You can get it if you know where to look. Polar, Canada Dry and Fever Tree make it, and specialty shops import it.

I recently discovered Ginger Joe Non-alcoholic Ginger Beer, which I really, really liked.
69880-280.jpg

I also like mineral water/club soda, elderflower juice, ginger ale and lemon drinks.

Attachments

• 69880-280.jpg
    69880-280.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 488
Last summer, I made a really nice shake. You'll need Irish cream liqueur like Baileys. Not the cheap one with wine in it. You want the one that's whiskey and cream. Mix it in your blender with vanilla ice cream and full fat milk. The shake is amazing.

If you like coffee try this. Put a heap spoonful of coffee granules and four tablespoons of sugar in a glass with a little water. Nuke it in the microwave for a few seconds to melt it. Be careful as it will bubble up fast and overflow if you don't keep an eye on it. It takes about 20 seconds.

Transfer this to a cool glass full to the brim with ice and fill with full fat milk.

If I've been out in the yard on a warm summer's day, my favorite refresher is a big glass of limeade on ice. The brand available here in the US is Simply ____, where the underscored part is one of several flavors, including limeade, lemonade, peach, orange, lemon-mango, and several others.

Irn bru - made from girders!

drinks.jpg

Attachments

• drinks.jpg
    drinks.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 752
Pocari sweat!

com_pocarisweat_im02.png

Attachments

• com_pocarisweat_im02.png
    com_pocarisweat_im02.png
    55.9 KB · Views: 495
I drink Coke. I do NOT drink Pepsi
upload_2018-3-10_17-24-28.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-10_17-24-28.png
    upload_2018-3-10_17-24-28.png
    59.8 KB · Views: 466
Likes cnh1995, Bystander and DennisN
Seltzer and orange juice, 2:1 ratio.

My go to drink for the summer is ice-cold barley tea (called mugicha in Japan). It's super-refreshing on a hot day!

A spoonful of honey plus a spoonful of apple cider vinegar in 8 oz of water, over ice in a frosted mug.

Nobody likes Pocari Sweat? With a name like that, it's got to be good!

Vanadium 50 said:

I've never heard of this drink until you have brought it up (apparently it's a Japanese drink that was launched a year before our family left the country).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocari_Sweat

Perhaps this should belong in the Linguistics thread, but "sweat" in this context is an example of wasei-eigo (Japanese words deliberately borrowed from English to convey certain uncharacteristic ideas, often deviating from the original meaning of the word).

Tea and sometimes coffee. Milk if I fancy a cold drink.

Pocari Sweat tastes kind of like flat Fresca. But I love the name!

Water. Yes, that's mainly what I drink all the time.

Borg said:
Go easy on it. Too much can be poisonous*. And way too much can make you drown.

* EDIT: Which I know from personal experience, actually. A couple of years ago I accidentally got hyponatremia, because I drank too much due to various reasons (it was very hot, and I was walking a lot). Hyponatremia was really scary to have.

I try to stay away from fizzy drinks for almost a year. I have been quite successful so far. My alternative is usually lemonade.

What's going on? Does nobody else like a cold beer on a hot day? Beer is definitely my "go-to" thirst quencher.

Likes david2, pinball1970, skyshrimp and 1 other person
phyzguy said:
What's going on? Does nobody else like a cold beer on a hot day? Beer is definitely my "go-to" thirst quencher.
And it's isotonic!

Cold water!

Likes robertson9
robertson9 said:
Not bad for the hot day. :)
No "ice cream headache?"

Likes robertson9
Vanadium 50 said:
I'm boycotting this product -- I don't support exploiting those poor Pocaris working away literally in a sweat shop. :oldruck:

Likes DennisN, fresh_42 and BillTre
Borg said:
For me, the most refreshing drink when I'm backpacking on a high ridge in the Olympic or Cascade mountains is cool water. On a warm day I frequently will drink five or six quarts. Even though it doesn't seem I'm sweating all that much, I know I'm losing a lot of water due to perspiration drying immediately as well as losing water vapor from breathing hard.

I sometimes add some of the electrolyte replacement powder, such as Gookinade, a tub of which I finally used up. When you're really working hard and sweating a lot, these electrolyte replacement powders help restore the salts, of various kinds, that you lose through perspiration.

Mark44 said:
For me, the most refreshing drink when I'm backpacking on a high ridge in the Olympic or Cascade mountains is cool water. On a warm day I frequently will drink five or six quarts.
On these occasions I find it best to drink from a cool mountain creek. It tastes so much better than ordinary drinking water, but maybe it's just the environment that makes me feel so.

fresh_42 said:
On these occasions I find it best to drink from a cool mountain creek. It tastes so much better than ordinary drinking water, but maybe it's just the environment that makes me feel so.
When I'm in the mountains, we get most of our water from creeks, but we filter it first. The water is probably OK as is, but the risk of contracting giardiasis is enough of a risk that we don't mind the extra work of filtering the water first. However, I'll scoop snow out of a snowfield directly into my (wide-mouth) water bottle. Sometimes I have to scrape off some of the surface detritus to get down to clean snow.

Likes BillTre
phyzguy said:
Does nobody else like a cold beer on a hot day? Beer is definitely my "go-to" thirst quencher.

I'm a Mancunian (Uk) and we know about proper beers but we have an import to our shores last few years from 5 point New York - Bengali Tiger. Its crisp sharp citrus strong and lively. After one hour of sport on a summers day it is perfect. 6.4% it is also not to be taken lightly. Very cheeky typical American take on a classic, this time on Belgium. great Love it.

What is a refreshing drink?

A refreshing drink is a beverage that quenches thirst and provides a sense of coolness and rejuvenation. It typically contains water and can be flavored with various ingredients such as fruit, herbs, or carbonation.

What are some common ingredients in refreshing drinks?

Some common ingredients in refreshing drinks include water, fruit juice, lemon or lime juice, mint, cucumber, and sparkling water or soda. These ingredients provide hydration and a burst of flavor, making them ideal for hot days or after physical activity.

What makes a drink refreshing?

A drink is considered refreshing when it contains ingredients that help to cool the body and hydrate it. These ingredients may include water, electrolytes, and natural flavors that help to replenish lost fluids and provide a sense of revitalization.

What are some examples of refreshing drinks?

Examples of refreshing drinks include lemonade, iced tea, fruit-infused water, coconut water, and sports drinks. Other popular options include sparkling water, smoothies, and cold-pressed juices. Ultimately, any beverage that helps to quench thirst and provide a sense of coolness can be considered refreshing.

Why are refreshing drinks important?

Refreshing drinks are important because they help to keep the body hydrated and provide essential nutrients and electrolytes. They also serve as a great alternative to sugary and unhealthy beverages, helping to maintain overall health and well-being. Additionally, refreshing drinks can provide a sense of satisfaction and relaxation, making them a great choice for a refreshing break from daily activities.