Wheel spinning at 14 rad/s stops in 5s—finding rotation distance

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
samprots
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A wheel has a rotational velocity of 14 rad/s clockwise you place your hand against the wheel and the friction between your hand and the rim stops it
a) If it takes 5s to stop the wheel what is its rotational acceleration
b)How far does the wheel rotate while slowing to a stop?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I got A very easy just taking 14/5 but am struggling with part B
Here is what I have so far, and I know its wrong but cannot figure it out
any help would be greatly appreciated

W.t+1/2t(squared)

I have 14*5+1/2*2.8(squared)
70+3.92=73.92

Any help would be greatly appreciated again thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Bump, any clarification that can be done on my part?
 
W.t+1/2t(squared)
Is this supposed to be an equation? Write the whole thing out. Anyway, this equation isn't even correct. You left out a variable. Go back to your textbook and look it up again.

I have 14*5+1/2*2.8(squared)

Even if this was the right equation, you've messed up the calculation. t is not "2.8". Did you try to see if your units worked out properly? If they don't, then that's an indication you are doing something wrong.

Instead of bumping your thread every 20 minutes, try spending the time working on figuring out what's wrong yourself. A careful look at the textbook should have at least made you notice something was wrong with your equation.

Was that helpful enough for you?