Wheeler's Delayed Choice Experiment

In summary, Wheeler's delayed choice experiment is a thought experiment that proposes a variation of the double-slit experiment in quantum physics, where the method of detection can be changed after the particle passes through the slits. This experiment has helped to understand the strange properties of quantum particles, and an implementation in 2007 showed that the act of observation ultimately determines whether the particle behaves as a wave or a particle. Wheeler's use of "act of observation" refers to the interaction between particles or instruments, rather than the observation by a sentient being. This has been explained by science popularization sources, but it is recommended to seek input from those with degrees or expertise in quantum physics for verification.
Fuzzystuff
Wheeler's delayed choice experiment is a thought experiment proposed by John Archibald Wheeler in 1978. Wheeler proposed a variation of the famous double-slit experiment of quantum physics, one in which the method of detection can be changed after the photon passes the double slit, so as to delay the choice of whether to detect the path of the particle, or detect its interference with itself.

Since the measurement itself seems to determine how the particle passes through the double slits, and thus its state as a wave or particle, Wheeler's thought experiment has been useful in trying to understand certain strange properties of quantum particles. An implementation of the experiment in 2007 showed that the act of observation ultimately decides whether the photon will behave as a particle or wave, verifying the unintuitive results of the thought experiment.

My question is:

What does Wheeler mean in regards to "Act of Observation"? Is he talking about a sentient being observing, or is he saying "observer" as in an interaction between particles or instruments?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bumping this. I would like to know what Wheeler is implying about the act of observation. I am pretty sure he means with detectors or instruments, and not that of a sentient being's knowledge of the particle. Is this correct? Someone who knows what they're talking about please respond. :)

Disclaimer - I am not a science grad student!

As far as I have read, you are right. "Act of observation" doesn't stand for observations by a sapient human. In an electron double slit experiment, usually a photon is bumped to the electron to know its position/momentum. And that is how the "act of observation" is done. So in the natural world, any stray photon hitting the electron collapses its state, thus causing decoherence.

As said, what I have explained above are from science popularisation books/blogs.
Others would correct me or to add to mine accordingly.

Thanks

Werunom,

Thanks for the response. I agree with you too that this is the case, but I would like it to come from someone who has a degree in quantum physics or has at least a lot of expertise to verify the claims being made on what Wheeler meant by "act of observation"

What is Wheeler's Delayed Choice Experiment?

Wheeler's Delayed Choice Experiment is a thought experiment proposed by physicist John Archibald Wheeler in the late 1970s. It aims to investigate the nature of reality and the role of observation in shaping it.

How does the experiment work?

In the experiment, a photon (a particle of light) is fired at a beam splitter, which splits the photon into two possible paths. One path leads to a detector, while the other path leads to a second beam splitter. Depending on which path the photon takes, it can exhibit either wave-like or particle-like behavior.

What is the significance of this experiment?

The significance of Wheeler's Delayed Choice Experiment lies in its ability to demonstrate the concept of wave-particle duality and the role of observation in determining the behavior of particles. It also challenges the traditional view of causality, as the decision to measure the photon's path is made after it has already passed through the first beam splitter.

What have the results of this experiment shown?

The results of the experiment have shown that the behavior of particles can change based on whether or not they are observed. This suggests that the act of observation has a direct influence on the physical world, and raises questions about the true nature of reality.

How does this experiment relate to other theories and concepts in physics?

Wheeler's Delayed Choice Experiment has implications for various theories and concepts in physics, such as quantum mechanics, relativity, and the concept of time. It challenges our understanding of these concepts and raises new questions about the fundamental nature of the universe.